Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Zooming-up, the lettering on the boot is where it should be on the Jag. The Daimler's lettering was usually always bottom right on the boot above the rear fender/bumper. The trademark jaguar on the bonnet looks to be there too but the image doesn't hold together well when zoomed-up though but I now think it's a Jag... 

After intensive online scrutiny of numerous pics, I’d say 10/10 to Doc Fixit. It’s certainly a Jag and I reckon the Doc hit the bullseye with his first dart (not, obviously, a Daimler Dart). It’s a Mk 7...or if you’re old school like the car itself, Mk VII.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

The main issue here is the original central rails system was a legacy of another time, but it was intrinsically unsafe, with pedestrians having to alight and dismount from a live traffic lane.

I lived for a long time in Germany, where in many places the trams run down the middle of the road. The law is that when the tram stops, the traffic must stop. When the tram moves off, the traffic may move off.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Such beauty. Like an unfinished symphony of tarmac and paint. 

https://twitter.com/Amadeus_IOM/status/1332000223242149889?s=20

I think it looks pretty damn good actually and the unfinished  bits will be finished and then the whole Prom will look ace.

Edited by yootalkin2me

1 hour ago, yootalkin2me said:

I think it looks pretty damn good actually and the unfinished  bits will be finished and then the whole Prom will look ace.

Taste is a matter of taste. The multi-coloured layout of pink concrete, many shades of composite granite (including green, for God's sake), bits if this and that everywhere - has all the style of a fake Gucci, diamanté encrusted, tart's handbag carried by someone wearing 6-inch red stilettos and wearing fake leopardskin leggings. Some people like that kind of thing. And once the horse trams start running and the usual deposits the nags have made have worked their way into the surface, that nice pink concrete is going to end up partly pink interspersed with unsightly brown stains. Probably Longworth has a plan to solve that problem.

(I still don't understand how they can plan to run a horse tram through the pedestrian area at the south end. How will they deal with children running around, and blind people? And the piles of horse manure on the footpath - will they put up signs telling blind people to watch their step?)

• Haha 1