Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

32 minutes ago, Nellie said:

This was pretty clear a long time ago. The carriageway was tight on several sections of Queens Prom before the work began, and on reconstruction, the gap between the two lines (not the gauge of course, but the gap in the middle) has been widen by around 15 inches, thus taking around 8 inches of width off each carriageway. This section was not subject to planning approval, as it is supposed to be a 'like for like' replacement. Presumably the DoI don't understand the term 'like for like'. 

The widening of the overall width of the tramway is to, potentially, facilitate Ian Longworth's MER to the Sea Terminal fantasy.

I wondered that, but if you were going to electrify, you’d be puttIng in the foundations to drop the poles into whilst you had it all dug up?

woudn’t you?

29 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I wondered that, but if you were going to electrify, you’d be puttIng in the foundations to drop the poles into whilst you had it all dug up?

woudn’t you?

catenary doesn't need poles in the middle of the road.  just somewhere either side and a bit of a spiders web along the route,  it has never going to happen and fuck up written all over it.

37 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

woudn’t you?

I think Longworth's vision is that there will be no overhead, but they'll use some sort of generator or battery device to drive the electric trams on this section. There is precedent, as they ran an MER car, so powered, on the Douglas to Port Erin line, a number of years ago.

If that doesn't come off, then I'm sure he'll be able to convince Black and Harmer that if they give him a million quid, he'll be able to make them work by magic.

Edited by Nellie
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

I think 2 million would be a better starter ...

By the time those two have finished that will be per tram ! Also there's a slight problem as they still have to finish the Prom and that's not happening anytime soon ! Big announcements on 18 th I've heard as to revised timetable 

The Gateway to the Island, lumbering behemoths and Horse drawn Trams!!!

Jeeze, what do these fools think they are trying to achieve?

I've fifty squillion quid to invest somewhere but do they have Horse Trams!!! That's the deciding factor!!!

Just now, Kopek said:

The Gateway to the Island, lumbering behemoths and Horse drawn Trams!!!

Jeeze, what do these fools think they are trying to achieve?

I've fifty squillion quid to invest somewhere but do they have Horse Trams!!! That's the deciding factor!!!

I'll put you in touch with my Nigerian friend...leave it with me ......

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

woudn’t you?

Or use battery packs and dc motors on the trams with charging docks at the tram terminal...not rocket science.

Edited by yootalkin2me
Just clicked on the link above...doh!!!
  • Like 1