Queen Birthday Honours 2019

6 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

We managed fine without a Governor or Legislative Council for centuries too.

Honestly how far back are you going? Do you mean when we were the possession of Scottish and then English lords* who were at best indifferent to the Manx or further back when we were the possession of the Kings of Man? 

*technically they were actually Governors.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Whatnonsence said:

Not really.

if we boast, and we do about our Independence , then we should devise are own systems of award to those on the Island that do public service. 

You can have your own honours like any council in the UK can issue medals and citations...But you are not independent as a Crown Dependency and at the end of the day can do nothing without ultimate supervision from London. You can have your own honours. But you cannot stop Island people from accepting UK honours. I seem to recall an IOM honour going to one of those TT biking chappies way back...It was all a bit contrived though...

9 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Honestly how far back are you going? Do you mean when we were the possession of Scottish and then English lords* who were at best indifferent to the Manx or further back when we were the possession of the Kings of Man? 

*technically they were actually Governors.

First Governor about 1593...

9 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

You can have your own honours like any council in the UK can issue medals and citations...But you are not independent as a Crown Dependency and at the end of the day can do nothing without ultimate supervision from London. You can have your own honours. But you cannot stop Island people from accepting UK honours. I seem to recall an IOM honour going to one of those TT biking chappies way back...It was all a bit contrived though...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p007kh6y

Joey Dunlop sort of made a Manx knight click the link.....

4 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

First Governor about 1593...

They may have had the title of "governor" but it was functionally a very different role and existed in an entirely different constitutional framework to that of the current Lieutenant Governor. Apples and oranges.

37 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

They may have had the title of "governor" but it was functionally a very different role and existed in an entirely different constitutional framework to that of the current Lieutenant Governor. Apples and oranges.

Indeed. Then as now the Lt Governor was a stand in for the Lord of Mann and then later for the Sovereign and head of state. Since the UK's avowed decolonisation post 1945 the Lt Gov on the IOM has had most former functions taken away but the ultimate reserve power is the Lt Governor. I recall CM Don Gelling declaring in Tynwald that on the IOM the Governor is supreme above all...Provided you run the place OK there is no need to trigger the Governor's constitutional reserve powers as was done in the Turks and Caicos Islands..

4 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Once cyclists and tennis players got gongs that was what did it for me.    We never had a President until Charlie needed a position.

President of a banana republic more like. 

5 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Once cyclists and tennis players got gongs that was what did it for me.    We never had a President until Charlie needed a position.

And those robes must have been a new invention or idea and possibly from that London firm that does all the Judges' robes etc. Someone must have been paid a lot to design them..Is it just me but when I look at Mr Rodan's pale blue robes I think of Andy Pandy...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=andy+pandy&id=F3C36A5140E5BB08FA0C5813EDA98AFD2C593BD2&FORM=IQFRBA

1 hour ago, Barrie Stevens said:

They like to give honours to establishment figures to keep Isle of Man in its proper place.

1 hour ago, Barrie Stevens said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p007kh6y

Joey Dunlop sort of made a Manx knight click the link.....

'Knighted' by His Royal Highness David of Cretney, tat shop owner and former Douglas Councillor.

I cringe every time I see that picture/video.

47 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Indeed. Then as now the Lt Governor was a stand in for the Lord of Mann and then later for the Sovereign and head of state. Since the UK's avowed decolonisation post 1945 the Lt Gov on the IOM has had most former functions taken away but the ultimate reserve power is the Lt Governor. I recall CM Don Gelling declaring in Tynwald that on the IOM the Governor is supreme above all...Provided you run the place OK there is no need to trigger the Governor's constitutional reserve powers as was done in the Turks and Caicos Islands.. 

I would agree with that assessment. The Isle of Man is theoretically under absolutist Crown rule. While it's true that technically we have some "freedom" or "independence", it's all a facade: if we for one moment did anything the Crown did not want us to do, we would immediately be stopped and the parties responsible removed from "power". So are we really free or independent? Only as long as we do what the Crown wants. So we are effectively not free or independent but a nation of slaves. If the Isle of Man is ever to be a free and sovereign nation, somebody "in charge" will one day have to deliberately do something that the Crown does not want and have a show down with them. It would take constitutional reform over in the UK for this to ever change and that's not going to happen.

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Definition of a Scottish gentleman : someone who can play the bagpipes, but who doesn't.

Instructions for producing DIY bagpipes:

1. Grab a cat, any cat

2. Grab one of it's hind legs

3. Still holding onto said animal, fling it over your shoulder

4. Locate its pee hole

5. Clamp mouth around the orifice and blow with all your might

6. Resulting sound is that not dissimilar to a set of highland bagpipes.

*Safety note: wear work gloves and eye protection

Archived