Queen Birthday Honours 2019

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

You can have your own honours like any council in the UK can issue medals and citations...But you are not independent as a Crown Dependency and at the end of the day can do nothing without ultimate supervision from London. You can have your own honours. But you cannot stop Island people from accepting UK honours. I seem to recall an IOM honour going to one of those TT biking chappies way back...It was all a bit contrived though...

Absolutely.

Nothing more contrived than MHKS accepting UK awards.

12 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Ahhh the bi-annual "honours are shit" thread

No, the honours aren't shit. Certainly not when they're awarded to recognise those who have made outstanding, often selfless and much needed contributions to our society.

Unfortunately....

16 hours ago, gettafa said:

I have nothing against oor Steve personally, and find him a rather jovial bimbling sort of chap that blows a tune on the bagpipes. And wears the fancy gowns and sits upon meetings for a fair wedge of wonga.

But seriously...what the fuckety, fuck fuck has this guy EVER done that deserves a goddamn fucking gong.

Fucking seriously folks.

What a pile of unexpurgated fucking shite.

The Queens awards system summed up in a wonner. Especially when you put these extreme gravy trainers against people who have actually done something for society.

You are entirely correct. Indeed, one might say that his excessive bagpipe worrying is reason enough to preclude him receiving any “honour” in perpetuity.

6 hours ago, gettafa said:

They like to give honours to establishment figures to keep Isle of Man in its proper place.

'Knighted' by His Royal Highness David of Cretney, tat shop owner and former Douglas Councillor.

I cringe every time I see that picture/video.

I cringe every time I see Cretney.

6 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

I would agree with that assessment. The Isle of Man is theoretically under absolutist Crown rule. While it's true that technically we have some "freedom" or "independence", it's all a facade: if we for one moment did anything the Crown did not want us to do, we would immediately be stopped and the parties responsible removed from "power". So are we really free or independent? Only as long as we do what the Crown wants. So we are effectively not free or independent but a nation of slaves. If the Isle of Man is ever to be a free and sovereign nation, somebody "in charge" will one day have to deliberately do something that the Crown does not want and have a show down with them. It would take constitutional reform over in the UK for this to ever change and that's not going to happen.

All entirely factual. We are free to do as we are told.

Harry kane got one for scoring a couple of penalties. I'd much rather listen to an Attenborough type programme with the honourable Steve Rodan narrating than Harry kane. Therefore Steve deserves this award and  should also get the knighthood before Harry kane or there's something severely amiss with our awards system.

Just now, the stinking enigma said:

Harry kane got one for scoring a couple of penalties. I'd much rather listen to an Attenborough type programme with the honourable Steve Rodan narrating than Harry kane. Therefore Steve deserves this award and  should also get the knighthood before Harry kane or there's something severely amiss with our awards system.

You bring sanity to every debate.

22 hours ago, gettafa said:

A gong for pomposity personified.

There's plenty more where that came from.

I loved his comment: "I always say public service is its own reward already. It’s been a great privilege to serve in Tynwald."

Presumably he'll be refunding the hefty stipend remitted over the past 20 odd years then.

I would think the honour would be more fittingly awarded for services to intense poker faced irony. Impressive.

5 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I try to moderate with a light touch but it was just getting a bit out of hand.

Yeh but you're focussing on two undeserved awardees. One plays football and the other uber establishment who pontificates in a drawly swetty sock accent. Both just doing their job and both well paid.

Then there are the luvvies. 

wtf.

Archived