Queen Birthday Honours 2019

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Gladys said:

Pity they caught him on the loo. 

The “Honours” system is a particularly tired and anachronistic institution. It’s also a pity that the article wasn’t illustrated with a pic of the Military Museum chap, a worthy recipient, rather than Stephen’s Rodent, who has huffed and puffed his pompous way through his institutional non-job.

57 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

The “Honours” system is a particularly tired and anachronistic institution. It’s also a pity that the article wasn’t illustrated with a pic of the Military Museum chap, a worthy recipient, rather than Stephen’s Rodent, who has huffed and puffed his pompous way through his institutional non-job.

I agree about the honours system, redundant Victoriana. Should give one to Longworth for maximum irony. I also suspect there are a fair few staunch Manxies who've rolled over to get their belly tickled with a gong.

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

Quite.

I have never understood a system that rewards people just for doing their part time well paid non-job....

Although to be fair they occasionally have to jet off to sunnier climes where they get togged up and ponce about like a bunch of Little Lord Fauntleroys. All on X's too.

The poor dears....

Why and Island that boasts its independence should involve themselves in an honour system from an adjoining country seems hypocritical especially when politicians receive a gong.

Given that this is how it is then I heartily congratulate the  recipients in the public service in the Isle of Man.   

4 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I agree about the honours system, redundant Victoriana. Should give one to Longworth for maximum irony. I also suspect there are a fair few staunch Manxies who've rolled over to get their belly tickled with a gong.

Not much Victoriana in OBEs etc..a lot of dates from the first world war and putting distance between the King's German kith and kin..And change of name to House of Windsor..Life peerages in the Lords began in the 1960s...In recent times there is an Elizabeth cross medal in addition to the Victoria cross...We make things look old and traditional...Bit like President of Tynwald the first holder of the position  insisted on being called Mr President and about the same time it was proposed LegCo should be rebadged as the Senate ie LegCo members baing called Mr Senator...….

16 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

Why and Island that boasts its independence should involve themselves in an honour system from an adjoining country seems hypocritical especially when politicians receive a gong.

Given that this is how it is then I heartily congratulate the  recipients in the public service in the Isle of Man.   

Most Manx are British...The MHKs have to take the oath of allegiance to the Queen or they cannot sit in the Keys etc...Mr Rodan is not Manx but a Scot and his country remains in the UK. Maybe you should ask why an immigrant presides in Tynwald...How many Tynwald members are not actually Manxmen? Puts the honours in perspective perhaps..

6 hours ago, Uhtred said:

https://www.gov.im/media/628175/2018-honours-nomination-iom-form.docx

You can nominate someone via IOM GOVT Click the link.  

Archived