Tynwald Day 2019

Rushen Spy

16 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

At the risk of sounding like Barrie again, I suspect your best bet would be the Tynwald Library.  Although more recent Reports appear online when they are presented to Tynwald, pre-internet stuff is just scans of the actual printed Hansard debates with none of the linked documents.

Given that the Isle of Man Government now employs a whole Department to deal with the economy (the DfE) plus the Economic Affairs Division of the Cabinet Office, plus many people at the Treasury (back in the 70s there was literally no one), I would have thought they should be constantly producing reports on that very subject or at least able to bring one out showing their latest thinking straight away.

Any general history is bound to skim over a lot and there's no obligation to provide references to something unless you quote or summarise from it.  I suspect that Winterbottom didn't even look at it (assuming a copy exists) because like a lot of other expensive Manx Government reports, no one else took a blind bit of notice of it.  You're right that A New History of the Isle of Man is a disaster zone of course.   So far they've published (in order):

Volume 5 (1830-1999) published 1999

Volume 1: Evolution of the Natural Landscape: Evolution of the Natural Landscape published 2007

Volume 3 (1000-1430) published 2015

Of course the first - and indeed to some extent the second - will now be out of date.  But you can't blame MNH for that - it's a respectable old university that is responsible for it.  I know some of the sections for it were produced by the authors years even decades before the relevant volume was published (or not).

You sound like Barrie again.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think the island needs a serious review of its economy though. Anybody with an IQ above 30 can see which way the wind is turning. What is the island to do to adapt to the changing winds? I don't think there are easy answers or solutions. I don't hold anybody particularly responsible for the failure to have adapted yet, because it's not entirely certain what we should be adapting to. Certainly, we are in a decade of major decline and an irrevocable one. We do need alternatives. Finance is declining. E-gaming was always going to be a temporary boom and bust. What is next? Or, more importantly, what can our parliament do next to facilitate a new boom, given our obvious disadvantage when you consider economies of scale? We need very high IQ people to look into this and, frankly, they're not currently members of Tynwald.

All the hoo ha the pain n the rear lot had about the Labour Party not being invited turns out they turned down the invitation, better things to do ,the old hag Margaret Hodge came over not so long ago to poke her nose into our affairs.    I am so not disappointed to see Dianne Abbot in her full glory.   Righteous indignation is ok but get your facts right first.

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

The great nephew of Sophia Goulden. Astounding work. 

It doesn't even make any sense as English.  As Goulden was her married name (she was a Craine from Lonan) someone called Goulden who isn't a direct descendant will only be a relation by marriage.  And there must also be an extra great- or two missing from that description if you add up the generations - a great-nephew would be the same generation as Sylvia and the other Pankhurst daughters people active around 1910 and now long dead.

3 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Interesting. Which brings me to a topic I was going to create but can't be bothered now.

What do we mean by government "accountability"? We know how a private enterprise is accountable: if it f-cks up, it goes bust (or that's what would happen in a real free market economy, none of that "too big to fail" Keynesian rubbish). We generally regard accountability as the main function of elections, that getting rid of the persons responsible for incompetent or damaging conduct in terms of policy and the results. That's it: as soon as they leave office, unless their f-ck ups were literally against the law, they get away with screwing up the economy and causing untold misery on society. Hardly accountability when you compare with Iceland and its bankers. Should we re-evaluate this and introduce real accountability?

An annual review of achievements in line with an electorate approved programme of government prior to 'payment by results' pay review

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It doesn't even make any sense as English.  As Goulden was her married name (she was a Craine from Lonan) someone called Goulden who isn't a direct descendant will only be a relation by marriage.  And there must also be an extra great- or two missing from that description if you add up the generations - a great-nephew would be the same generation as Sylvia and the other Pankhurst daughters people active around 1910 and now long dead.

Sounds fairly typical of the pricks who come here from the UK and get jobs at MNH on some tedious basis. You do know MNH doesn't employ Manx people, right, Roger? They only employ people who are non-Manx. Same with Culture Vannin. I'd love to know who the absolute wanker is that writes the Culture Vannin FB posts --- they routinely posts anti-Manx sh!te and delete posts by people who actually are respected local scholars (I'm not even one of them, so it's not me personally being aggrieved here).

18 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I do think the island needs a serious review of its economy though. Anybody with an IQ above 30 can see which way the wind is turning. What is the island to do to adapt to the changing winds? I don't think there are easy answers or solutions. I don't hold anybody particularly responsible for the failure to have adapted yet, because it's not entirely certain what we should be adapting to. Certainly, we are in a decade of major decline and an irrevocable one. We do need alternatives. Finance is declining. E-gaming was always going to be a temporary boom and bust. What is next? Or, more importantly, what can our parliament do next to facilitate a new boom, given our obvious disadvantage when you consider economies of scale? We need very high IQ people to look into this and, frankly, they're not currently members of Tynwald.

Surely it is you & your ilk that argue for a 'laissez-faire' unplanned economy?

You can't complain of lack of results with that approach

Maybe capitalism is collapsing all around us

2 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Sounds fairly typical of the pricks who come here from the UK and get jobs at MNH on some tedious basis. You do know MNH doesn't employ Manx people, right, Roger? They only employ people who are non-Manx. Same with Culture Vannin. I'd love to know who the absolute wanker is that writes the Culture Vannin FB posts --- they routinely delete posts by people who actually are respected local scholars (I'm not even one of them, so it's not me personally being aggrieved here).

It is rumoured that the CM is deeply unhappy with the number of genuine natives employed by MNH (but it is only a rumour)

Culture Vannin is brim full of proper Manxies tho'

You should see a doctor

4 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Surely it is you & your ilk that argue for a 'laissez-faire' unplanned economy?

You can't complain of lack of results with that approach

Maybe capitalism is collapsing all around us

I don't believe in a laissez-faire unplanned economy. That's just an extreme viewpoint. I'm more of a centrist: I think the government has an important part to play in economic planning and regulation. The Isle of Man is a very unique economy. Normative ideologies (e.g. Austrian School Economics vs Keynesian Economics) don't really apply here as we're such an exception to the rule. In many ways, the way the island brings in revenue sort of precludes us (to some extent) from fully assessing the moral and ethical nature of those revenue streams. I don't know why you have so much animosity towards me, as I'll be the first to say we need to put morality and ethics before economic expediency. I also support greater moves for direct democracy. It does raise the question to me, why have you got such an issue with me, unless there's some third angle to this?

3 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

It is rumoured that the CM is deeply unhappy with the number of genuine natives employed by MNH (but it is only a rumour)

Culture Vannin is brim full of proper Manxies tho'

You should see a doctor

Manx National Heritage has a policy of not employing Manx people. That's just a fact. Culture Vannin is the same -- whoever writes their social media content is an asshole who has obvious hatred for the Manx people.

I regularly see a doctor. Maybe you and the low IQ idiot who writes social media content for Culture Vannin should do the same.

Moron. Perhaps I was wrong in thinking us both Manx patriots who care first and foremost for the ordinary working class and those in low incomes. I guess you are a servant of another master. For my part, I will continue to serve the Manx nation and the working class. You can serve whomever you wish: I suspect, rather than ambition, it is plain stupidity.

47 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It’s cringingly awful isn’t it? How are we supposed to take our parliamentary assembly seriously when this ordure is on offer? 

Just now, Rushen Spy said:

I do think he's been a good "caretaker" Chief Minister (i.e. one who has done nothing, but also not done anything).

So you consider that kind of stasis “good” do you?

Archived