Tynwald Day 2019

Rushen Spy

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. Which brings me to a topic I was going to create but can't be bothered now.

What do we mean by government "accountability"? We know how a private enterprise is accountable: if it f-cks up, it goes bust (or that's what would happen in a real free market economy, none of that "too big to fail" Keynesian rubbish). We generally regard accountability as the main function of elections, that getting rid of the persons responsible for incompetent or damaging conduct in terms of policy and the results. That's it: as soon as they leave office, unless their f-ck ups were literally against the law, they get away with screwing up the economy and causing untold misery on society. Hardly accountability when you compare with Iceland and its bankers. Should we re-evaluate this and introduce real accountability?

7 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Hardly accountability when you compare with Iceland and its bankers. Shoulpd we re-evaluate this and introduce real accountability?

What's with the "we" Paleface?

Are you thick or what?

Turkeys / Christmas.....

1 hour ago, finlo said:

76, thought it was 82?

Indeed it was, though @gettafa's point about rose-tinted glasses still applies (and of course the problems started there back in the 70s).  Interesting to be reminded:

Following the collapse, the Lieutenant Governor commissioned an examination of banking supervision in the Isle of Man by officials seconded from the Bank of England. Responding to criticisms and recommendations contained in their report, the Financial Supervision Commission was established in 1983, and the Insurance Authority (later the Insurance and Pensions Authority) in 1986.

The UK clearly didn't hesitate to interfere in the matters of the Island when it felt the locals were not managing things well - though the constitutional position was slightly burred then by the LG still being the Presiding Officer of Tynwald.

4 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

So we are talking z listers then. Is it Mike tindall's auntie?

I think we're gonna need a whole new alphabet:

Official Guests 2019 

Dr Hon W McKeeva Bush OBE JP Hon MSc MLA
Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of the Cayman Islands
Rt Hon Alistair Carmichael MP
MP for Orkney and Shetland
Chief Whip of the Liberal Democrats
Dr Miguel Clűsener-Godt
Director, Division of Ecological and Earth Sciences, UNESCO
Secretary of the Programme on Man and the Biosphere
Senator Paul Coghlan
Leas-Chathaoirleach of Seanad Éireann.
Connétable Simon Crowcroft
Connétable of St Helier, Jersey
Ms Linda Fabiani MSP
Member of the Scottish Parliament for East Kilbride
Deputy Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament
Mr Michael Goulden
Great nephew of Sophia Goulden
Rt Hon Dame Eleanor Laing MP
MP for Epping Forest
Deputy Speaker, First Deputy Chairman of Ways and Means
Mr Robert MacRae QC
Her Majesty's Attorney General of Jersey
Ms Megan Pullum QC LLB
Her Majesty's Procureur and Receiver General of Guernsey
Mr Robert Neill MP
MP for Bromley and Chislehurst
Chairman of the Justice Select Committee
Mr Magne Rommetveit
Third Vice President of the Storting, Parliament of Norway
Mr Andrew Rosindell MP
MP for Romford
Co-Chair of the British-Irish Parliamentary Assembly
Chairman of the UK-Isle of Man (Manx) All Party Parliamentary Group
Mr Steingrimur Sigfusson
Speaker of the Althingi, Parliament of Iceland
Mr Olav Eek Thorstensen
Chairman of Thome Group

Though unless one of those moonlights as Princess Eugenie's pedicurist, can't see even any nano-royals. 

20 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Indeed it was, though @gettafa's point about rose-tinted glasses still applies (and of course the problems started there back in the 70s).  Interesting to be reminded:

The UK clearly didn't hesitate to interfere in the matters of the Island when it felt the locals were not managing things well - though the constitutional position was slightly burred then by the LG still being the Presiding Officer of Tynwald. 

Hey Rog, I was just looking up the references made to 1976 and 1982 in A New History of the Isle of Man, Chapter: Economic History, 1836-1996, by Derek Winterbottom. Doesn't really explain much but it mentions in the first sentence:

In 1970 the Manx Government commissioned a firm of management consultants to produce a detailed inquiry into the economy, and this was published in 1971.

Do you know where we can get a hold of this? And do you think it might be a good idea to commission a new inquiry into the same?

The book, published by the University of Liverpool, is pretty sh!t when they make such statements then don't cite any kind of reference material or elaborate. The book just moves on, with no explanation. Manx National Heritage are another organisation who publish sh!t books. The Isle of Man has no academic credibility.

Two Speakers there I see, Cayman and the Icelandic Althingi. And a Vice President of the Norwegian Storting.

I can see a connection there in ancient Viking governments and they're obviously responding to our attempts to inflict Watterson and the Rodant on them.

But surely Jersey and Guernsey have much looser connections, they're supposed to be our rivals?

And the Chair of the Justice Select Committee? Why? And the Chairman or Ways and Means? Both UK MPs. And an MP for Orkney and Shetland? An MSP for East Kilbride? Oh, and the Great Nephew of Sophia Goulden. Who and who?

A meaty list that will mean endless jollies in order for our great and good to respond in kind over the next 12 months, no doubt. Airmiles ahoy!

32 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

The book, published by the University of Liverpool, is pretty sh!t when they make such statements then don't cite any kind of reference material or elaborate. The book just moves on, with no explanation. Manx National Heritage are another organisation who publish sh!t books. The Isle of Man has no academic credibility.

If you've been to a top university, you really expect citations.

17 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Hey Rog, I was just looking up the references made to 1976 and 1982 in A New History of the Isle of Man, Chapter: Economic History, 1836-1996, by Derek Winterbottom. Doesn't really explain much but it mentions in the first sentence:

In 1970 the Manx Government commissioned a firm of management consultants to produce a detailed inquiry into the economy, and this was published in 1971.

Do you know where we can get a hold of this? And do you think it might be a good idea to commission a new inquiry into the same?

At the risk of sounding like Barrie again, I suspect your best bet would be the Tynwald Library.  Although more recent Reports appear online when they are presented to Tynwald, pre-internet stuff is just scans of the actual printed Hansard debates with none of the linked documents.

Given that the Isle of Man Government now employs a whole Department to deal with the economy (the DfE) plus the Economic Affairs Division of the Cabinet Office, plus many people at the Treasury (back in the 70s there was literally no one), I would have thought they should be constantly producing reports on that very subject or at least able to bring one out showing their latest thinking straight away.

Any general history is bound to skim over a lot and there's no obligation to provide references to something unless you quote or summarise from it.  I suspect that Winterbottom didn't even look at it (assuming a copy exists) because like a lot of other expensive Manx Government reports, no one else took a blind bit of notice of it.  You're right that A New History of the Isle of Man is a disaster zone of course.   So far they've published (in order):

Volume 5 (1830-1999) published 1999

Volume 1: Evolution of the Natural Landscape: Evolution of the Natural Landscape published 2007

Volume 3 (1000-1430) published 2015

Of course the first - and indeed to some extent the second - will now be out of date.  But you can't blame MNH for that - it's a respectable old university that is responsible for it.  I know some of the sections for it were produced by the authors years even decades before the relevant volume was published (or not).

46 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

If you've been to a top university, you really expect citations.

I don't recall claiming to have been to university, let alone a top one. You must have me confused with another poster.

Archived