Tynwald Day 2019

Rushen Spy

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There should not be any English Royals present as we 'celebrate' what is left of our once proud independent Nation.

While we are at it, what on earth are we doing putting the English crown and orb? designs on the back of our 50p piece? There should be Manx symbols on our coins.

3 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Do we have a list of Royals et al coming over this year yet?

Yes - the King of Comedy Howard Quayle has pledged to turn up in an ill-fitting suit. Again.

4 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Do we have a list of Royals et al coming over this year yet?

Yup - it's on the Tynwald website. I was going to link to it but if you can't be arsed looking in the obvious place, I can't be arsed linking it:D

4 hours ago, Kopek said:

There should not be any English Royals present as we 'celebrate' what is left of our once proud independent Nation.

While we are at it, what on earth are we doing putting the English crown and orb? designs on the back of our 50p piece? There should be Manx symbols on our coins.

Tynwald Day is not a celebration of independence. It's an exercise of parliamentary sovereignty. In the UK, sovereignty resides jointly between the monarch and the parliament: it's called "Queen-in-Parliament" as it requires an assembly of Parliament and the monarch in Parliament to give Royal Assent.

If the Isle of Man is ever to progress from a feudal monarchical system into a real parliamentary democracy, we need to retain Tynwald Day and the Monarch's attendance (or a representative of the Monarch) as a way to follow the UK model of sovereignty. Without a Royal representative, it may as well be a teddy bear picnic because it wouldn't be worth a dime as far as parliamentary sovereignty is concerned.

4 hours ago, Kopek said:

Was there ever anything to be proud of. Really.

8 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Was there ever anything to be proud of. Really.

Yes, I think so. I have happy memories of the 70s over here, of course we were all a lot younger then and life seemed simpler without the now obligatory devices and gadgets. But there was more "community" and neighbourliness. Less greed and self centredness. No drugs and less violence.

And people in charge SEEMED to know what they were doing anyway. And there was certainly a lot less of them. There seemed to be fewer financial disasters to be covered up too. Maybe it's just my rosy glasses though....

Yes, I am very proud of our significant involvement in smuggling and evading unjust customs and immoral taxes of the British Empire.

That took a lot of guts and cunning. We really stuck it to the man back then.

28 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes, I think so. I have happy memories of the 70s over here, 

There seemed to be fewer financial disasters to be covered up too. Maybe it's just my rosy glasses though....

Rosie glasses syndrome.

The biggest and most far-reaching financial 'disaster' of which, the grand-daddy of all so-called financial disasters (it wasn't a disaster at all, it was a scam from the start, backed by Isle of Man Government) the Savings & Investment Bank (SIB) - collapsed June 1976. although of course those in the know, including the Bishop and the church, had special insider knowledge and took their money out 6 months before the doors were closed and just after 'someone' spilt the beans to the Isle of Man government treasury who pretended nothing had happened and it would all go away.

They all got off with it too, trial collapsed and they went on to carry on their 'little ways'. Even today they are at it, them that haven't died yet.

The 70s. Even better than the 60s.

13 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Rosie glasses syndrome.

The biggest and most far-reaching financial 'disaster' of which, the grand-daddy of all so-called financial disasters (it wasn't a disaster at all, it was a scam from the start, backed by Isle of Man Government) the Savings & Investment Bank (SIB) - collapsed June 1976. although of course those in the know, including the Bishop and the church, had special insider knowledge and took their money out 6 months before the doors were closed and just after 'someone' spilt the beans to the Isle of Man government treasury who pretended nothing had happened and it would all go away.

They all got off with it too, trial collapsed and they went on to carry on their 'little ways'. Even today they are at it, them that haven't died yet.

The 70s. Even better than the 60s.

76, thought it was 82?

Archived