Skateboarders invading Strand Street

Rushen Spy

I see Strand Street is now being invaded by skateboarders with a lack of basic coordination skills (like many cyclists who are also increasing traveling via Strand Street) and speeding around corners. It is only a matter of time before there's an inevitable fatality. 

Rather than continue to complain about them, as I actually quite like skateboarders, I'd like to pose the question on their behalf:

What is the Government (local or national) or private enterprise doing to create more places for skateboarders to hang out where they can be free to skate around to their hearts' content without endangering innocent pedestrians and shoppers? I guess Douglas Promenade, which has now been turned into one giant car park, is no longer accessible or safe for them.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Rushen Spy said:

I see Strand Street is now being invaded by skateboarders with a lack basic coordination skills (like many cyclists who are also increasing traveling via Strand Street) and speeding around corners. It is only a matter of time before there's an inevitable fatality. 

Rather than continue to complain about them, as I actually quite like skateboarders, I'd like to pose the question on their behalf:

What is the Government (local or national) or private enterprise doing to create more places for skateboarders to hang out where they can be free to skate around to their hearts' content without endangering innocent pedestrians and shoppers? I guess Douglas Promenade, which has now been turned into one giant car park, is no longer accessible or safe for them.

They're turning the whole promenade into one giant skatepark. You just wait and see.... :lol:

I didn't mean the road, I meant the shore-side area where we used to be able to walk (being a promenade and all) or sit down during your lunch break and admire the sea. Now it's just cars parked there. I think it's horrid what they've done. I understand there's a parking problem in Douglas but turning the Promenade into a car park isn't a working solution. What we really need is more consideration given to underground development schemes, particularly when building new places.

16 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I see Strand Street is now being invaded by skateboarders with a lack of basic coordination skills (like many cyclists who are also increasing traveling via Strand Street) and speeding around corners. It is only a matter of time before there's an inevitable fatality. 

It’s not just skateboarders causing problems but also children on BMX bikes cycling at speed on Strand Street near TKMAXX - observed on Saturday last. If any accidents occur you can count on one - the usual Politicos will be spouting the usual shit, doing nothing and handwringing, like they do with most things. 

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The new Castletown skate park is beginning to take shape, funded 3 ways by commissioners, lottery and parks charity.  

Where is it; near the park over by the Train Station?

27 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Nobles Park, Mooragh Park, Braddan to name just three

Local government are providing places for BMX and skateboarding, what else are they supposed to do, turn the whole island into a free skate? There are lots of sports where practice facilities are almost non existent and yet we produce champions, I'd put a lot of effort into some of those areas now please. 

21 minutes ago, Declan said:

Yeah but skateboarding isn't an activity that only takes place in skate parks. 

It should be, bloody nuisance those skateboarders. Worse than cyclists...

As a strategic plan for dealing with this menace, I'd suggest:

1. It to provide a good topic for incessantly bickering old farts to have an extended moan about on the internet.
  2. Somebody to demand mandatory proficiency tests, licensing, insurance, MOTs and airworthiness certificates for all skateboarders and skateboards.
  3. Skateboarding in groups of more than two to require an events licence and road closures, with local potato pickers to be sworn in as special constables and given powers to fine anyone who fails to show them due respect.
  4. IoMG to nationalise skateboarding, set up a department of skateboarding and then announce a public consultation on how to reduce costs incurred by the department.
  5. All common sense, relative risk perception or proportionality on the issue to be expressly forbidden.

Archived