#Were in the Money#

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Calm down and stop thinking up stupid new ways to spend this "£30 million" you think has grown on a tree somewhere.

Yes. Government is more than capable of doing that by itself. 

22 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Who are you aiming your text at on this particular occasion?

People on one of the Facebook pages (I think it was the Crown Dependency & British Overseas Territories News page) competing with each other with suggestions on how to spend the £30 million and saying the Government obviously can afford the said list of suggestions. People are delusional. I've even spoken with half the hat civil servants who've claimed to me that the Government is just making up that it has no money and reckon they have loads stashed away. Stashed away where? If ever you found a literal "Treasury" room under lock and key hidden under a fairy mountain somewhere, all you'll find in the safe is a pile of I.O.U. notes.

8 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

People on one of the Facebook pages (I think it was the Crown Dependency & British Overseas Territories News page) competing with each other with suggestions on how to spend the £30 million and saying the Government obviously can afford the said list of suggestions. People are delusional. I've even spoken with half the hat civil servants who've claimed to me that the Government is just making up that it has no money and reckon they have loads stashed away. Stashed away where? If ever you found a literal "Treasury" room under lock and key hidden under a fairy mountain somewhere, all you'll find in the safe is a pile of I.O.U. notes.

Alf's vault at Gringotts

gringotts-bank-warner-bros-studio-tour-jpg-1552998228.jpg

Well, Alf claims that there's £1,873M in cash and Steam Packet assets held. And Laurence has previously claimed that we've got billions in reserves. Maybe all is flush and well?

So why are we all being taxed to the bollocks and beyond?

They are more likely tied into investments which generate return on investment which pumps back into the NI funding. It would be a bit stupid to go spending it when it's bringing in much-needed revenue.

49 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

You accused me in another thread of not reading things.  Have you read the 'light blue book' yet?  Page 9 shows very healthy reserves of £1.5 billion in total.

9 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

You accused me in another thread of not reading things.  Have you read the 'light blue book' yet?  Page 9 shows very healthy reserves of £1.5 billion in total.

Do you know what a reserve is?

2 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

The idea that just because in one financial year there's a small surplus doesn't mean our finances are somehow magically resolved. You have to look at the accounts over the course of decades and see that such a sum is a drop in the ocean compared to our ongoing and projected liabilities. Calm down and stop thinking up stupid new ways to spend this "£30 million" you think has grown on a tree somewhere.

But there isn't even a surplus. Everyone appears to be missing that magic little word "revenue".

There is a REVENUE surplus, but this doesn't mean there is £30m to spend. Within the revenue accounts there is a draw down of £35m from the public sector pension reserve, so even though the results are better than budget, they are still in deficit. Worse still, there is only about 3 more years of life in that particular reserve (it stands at about £110m), so when that is gone, this £4m deficit will turn into something like £40m.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

But there isn't even a surplus. Everyone appears to be missing that magic little word "revenue".

There is a REVENUE surplus, but this doesn't mean there is £30m to spend. Within the revenue accounts there is a draw down of £35m from the public sector pension reserve, so even though the results are better than budget, they are still in deficit. Worse still, there is only about 3 more years of life in that particular reserve (it stands at about £110m), so when that is gone, this £4m deficit will turn into something like £40m.

Indeed. We're being run by people who don't know the difference between Income and Expenditure.

We're fucked! 

3 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

What does that figure mean?

The Audited figures show that from 2009 to 2018 Total Funds and Reserves of the Govt. fell from £2.7bn to £421m (or from £2.2bn to -£437m if you exclude the NI Fund)

Those figures are not cash and liquid assets. They are the bottom half of the Balance Sheet, to be compared with the P&L and Share Capital of a company. Nevertheless the reduction is indicative of a problem.

At 31/3/18 the Govt had +500m of cash and a similar figure for Net Current Assets so they/we are a long way from a crisis but there is a long-term issue to be dealt with.

Archived