Thomas Cook Collapse

Max Power

57 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

You may stil be covered even if you paid via Debit card. Again not sure if IOM branches of these banks will do the same .

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/thomas-cook-seeking-p200m-extra-funding-/

• For a flight or booking costing less than £100, or if you paid by debit card, you might be able to claim money back from your card provider through the chargeback scheme instead.

Unlike Section 75, the chargeback scheme isn't a legal requirement, it's just a customer service promise. But we're already seeing successful claims from people using it to claim for Thomas Cook flights, and crucially there doesn't need to be the direct link between the product paid for and the debt as with Section 75. See our Chargeback guide for full details.

Here's one early success story:

I had no ATOL protection on flights I’d booked, no insurance and paid by debit card.

I went to Barclays just to ask for help and they have already refunded the full amount of money to my account. Absolutely stellar customer service too. Very happy to see my money again and will definitely be following MSE’s tips from now on.

Further to the Section 75 refunds on credit card transactions, there are certainly rumblings about card companies being reluctant to make refunds unless the booking was directly with the tour operator, on the grounds that they have no relationship in your transaction to the entity that has failed to supply. It seems to me something of a grey area with Freedom Travel insofar as they are not Thomas Cook, but are partly owned by them. If I was in the position of having booked with Freedom, I would at least be seeking urgent clarification rather than waiting for contact from them.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wozniac is very imprecise,...quotes from Courier 27/9/19

'customer's money SHOULD be protected'

'flights not axed but 'SUSPENDED'

'HOPES to be able to continue flights'

'BELIEVES there is light at the end of the tunnel'

The only positive is that, 'everybody within the group is doing their best'

Maybe that is all he can say but, where's my cash?  why have I had to do all the work finding out how to possibly get my cash back?

A girl phoned us from Freedom and said the flights were definitely off, which is slightly different from his stance.

His stance makes it all the more difficult because the credit card firm has the opening to say, 'well the holiday may still be on'.

47 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Wozniac is very imprecise,...quotes from Courier 27/9/19

'customer's money SHOULD be protected'

'flights not axed but 'SUSPENDED'

'HOPES to be able to continue flights'

'BELIEVES there is light at the end of the tunnel'

The only positive is that, 'everybody within the group is doing their best'

Maybe that is all he can say but, where's my cash?  why have I had to do all the work finding out how to possibly get my cash back?

A girl phoned us from Freedom and said the flights were definitely off, which is slightly different from his stance.

His stance makes it all the more difficult because the credit card firm has the opening to say, 'well the holiday may still be on'.

If you paid by credit card then it's up to you to contact the CC issuer.

Unfortunately, the fact that Freedom Travel have not confirmed that the holidays concerned have been cancelled then customers will not be able to start the process of claiming from their credit card suppliers. On the face of it Freedom Travel are being less than transparent about the situation. To date, reading in the press, all they have said is that the flights have been 'suspended'.

Along with all the other customers I, too, am completely frustrated with the lack of response by Freedom Travel. If you try and phone them, they don't answer. Similar lack of response to email queries.

The obvious step would be to leave a recorded message to their customers on their phone - with advise about whether the holidays concerned have been cancelled.

This continuing silence from Freedom Travel serves merely to damage what previously was a good reputation.

Do we have a Thomas Cook in Strand Street? To the right of Shoe Zone? I can't remember what is there now but I had always assumed it was a Thomas Cook.

While I mention Shoe Zone, how many years will they continue to hold a "closing down sale"?

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

Do we have a Thomas Cook in Strand Street? To the right of Shoe Zone? I can't remember what is there now but I had always assumed it was a Thomas Cook.

While I mention Shoe Zone, how many years will they continue to hold a "closing down sale"?

Idiot...

14 minutes ago, woolley said:

And whatever you do, ensure that the booking you made is actually for a Thomas Cook operated holiday as they did also work as agents for other providors and those holidays will still go ahead. 

Could be a non-TC holiday but with a TC flight (as per my neighbour). In this case Freedom Travel (Strand Street) will attempt to find a replacement flight.

42 minutes ago, CharlieBrown said:

As the forums leading authority on these matters , I can tell you that the stationary shop is in between Thomas Cook and Shoe Zone on Strand Street.

Okay, I just wanted to confirm that it was in fact a Thomas Cook and not a different travel agent. Thank you.

Archived