50mph limit to be adopted?

Max Power

3 hours ago, winnie said:

I think the general quality of driving on the island is so much better and safer than the uk which now has speed limit's so low it leads to frustration

The only problem with that is that usually people are only too quick to tell you how bad the standards of driving on the Island are (except their own of course).  There may be other reasons for that, driving on over-familiar roads may lead to carelessness for example, but no one normally praises the standards over here.

And if drivers can't handle 'frustration' (which more likely to be caused by other reasons than speed limits) then they oughtn't to be on the roads at all. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, winnie said:

If the roads are dry with good visability then 100mph is perfectly safe on the right bike / car providing the rider / driver is competent. If the conditions are right, why would there be an accident??

I don't know please explain why there are accidents in such circumstances, they happen all of the time even when the road is closed to oncoming traffic.

You've qualified your stance to now require 1. good visibility 2. the right car/bike 3. driver competence. Even without the prevailing subjectivity in those requirements  they makes for a lot of writing on a road sign.

2 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I don't know please explain why there are accidents in such circumstances, they happen all of the time even when the road is closed to oncoming traffic.

You've qualified your stance to now require 1. good visibility 2. the right car/bike 3. driver competence. Even without the prevailing subjectivity in those requirements  they makes for a lot of writing on a road sign.

You know some of those accidents happen at speeds well below 100mph?  The one I saw was at about 40, the goon just wasn’t looking where he was going.  Still put his car off the road and caused a closure though.

To say that 100mph isn’t safe is no more factual than to say 40mph isn’t safe.  Risks are higher as are the potential consequences but to say it isn’t safe when loads of people do it with no issue all the time is nonsense.

What is “safe”.  Would 40mph stop all rtcs?

10 minutes ago, trmpton said:

You know some of those accidents happen at speeds well below 100mph?  The one I saw was at about 40, the goon just wasn’t looking where he was going.  Still put his car off the road and caused a closure though.

To say that 100mph isn’t safe is no more factual than to say 40mph isn’t safe.  Risks are higher as are the potential consequences but to say it isn’t safe when loads of people do it with no issue all the time is nonsense.

What is “safe”.  Would 40mph stop all rtcs?

Seriously your argument here is fundamentally flawed. Of course I can say that 40mph is safer than 100mph. It is an undisputed fact that speed plays a major factor in the incidence of RTC's.

Hold on to your view if you wish, its akin to saying I've smoked 60 a day for the last 50 years and I don't have cancer. 

26 minutes ago, gettafa said:

By definition speed is always going to be a factor.

By far the biggest most overwhelming factors in RTCs is dickheadedness and fuckwittedness

There's two things going on here though.  Speed is clearly a direct factor in some accidents, but as well it makes the consequences of any accident worse, no matter what the cause(s).

7 hours ago, ian rush said:

The 'It'll kill the TT' argument is bollocks. More people want to come than can get and if a determing reason for not coming is a speed limit then will they really be missed by the rest? Bums on seats ideally without shutting roads or filling hospitals.

I'd argue it would severely damage the spirit of the event and the way people think of the place. Many visitors enjoy the fact that there aren't speed cameras on every corner here and that the place has a different attitude towards motoring than the money grabbing UK. Take that away and you might as well go to Silverstone because it will just be like a county of England.

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

I'd argue it would severely damage the spirit of the event and the way people think of the place. Many visitors enjoy the fact that there aren't speed cameras on every corner here and that the place has a different attitude towards motoring than the money grabbing UK. Take that away and you might as well go to Silverstone because it will just be like a county of England.

At what price though? There are visitor fatalities and serious accidents most years.Was it last year that someone threw it down the road within minutes of the Mountain going one way?

4 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Because fate has decided to hit your windscreen with a flying bird, or you sneeze, or your wheel decides to burst or 1 of an almost infinite number of reasons.

The same could happen driving towards a bus load of school children !! 

3 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

At what price though? There are visitor fatalities and serious accidents most years.Was it last year that someone threw it down the road within minutes of the Mountain going one way?

Don’t know, but it was last year that someone died in a 50 limit at the Creg.

11 hours ago, winnie said:

Look at Sulby Straight, which is 40mph, which is absolutley fine if it's raining at 8.30am, but way too low as a limit on a sunny sunday morning at 6am when i'd think 50mph to be perfectly safe..

No. You're wrong. There is a Primary School and two churches on Sulby Straight. And a defacto pedestrian crossing.

Variable speed limits don't work except on motorways. People get used to driving a certain speed on certain routes.

Most IOM routes should be no-overtaking. And no tolerance of pushing in between cars. Motorbikes included. And there should be speed cameras.

If you are worried about being late, leave earlier.

Archived