50mph limit to be adopted?

Max Power

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see the "green" card being played on this too. Reduced fuel consumption and emissions from a lower overall speed limit. All grist for the climate change mill.

Of course, it will obviously be a total waste of time buying large, powerful anythings as small engined vehicles will nowadays easily meet a 50mph top limit. So we can ban the sale of Chelsea tractors, luxury and sports cars and bikes too on redundancy grounds. Even greener.

I'm sure the population and its politicians will happily adjust to life with a Toyota Yaris or Citroen C1 and mopeds :lol:

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I can see the "green" card being played on this too. Reduced fuel consumption and emissions from a lower overall speed limit. All grist for the climate change mill.

Of course, it will obviously be a total waste of time buying large, powerful anythings as small engined vehicles will nowadays easily meet a 50mph top limit. So we can ban the sale of Chelsea tractors, luxury and sports cars and bikes too on redundancy grounds. Even greener.

I'm sure the population and its politicians will happily adjust to life with a Toyota Yaris or Citroen C1 and mopeds :lol:

That won't suit the HNWs and their lifestyles, what will they spend their money on? 

I rarely drive particularly quickly anymore, but it's great to think that I could if it were safe and clear.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I rarely drive particularly quickly anymore, but it's great to think that I could if it were safe and clear.

I've not taken the bike out of Douglas for a couple of years, but it's a big freedom to know that at anytime I could go for a relaxed blast over the mountain.

Bad drivers and little shit boy racers are the problem and they are responsible for any change in speed limits. 

https://www.buzzsprout.com/826228/2529070

we we’re talking about this and other stuff this week. (Its nearly an hour long btw)

And don’t worry about enforcement. Once there is something to go at effectively, then it will be policed. 

Times are a changing. The CM can’t put the genie back in the bottle with this. Safety and emissions are a big part of two declared strategies. They cannot counter this with the ‘speed tourism’ card. I personally think TT will actually attract more visitors who will perceive the place as safer. The important thing is that they don’t fudge the Mountain Road. If it’s to be kept as a fairground attraction then close it and run it as such. (And no, I’m not pitching for the contract!)

Ballsy move, and it will signal the passing of something. I will miss a fast run, but I can live with it if it makes the world a better place for others.

Ballsy move all the same. 

It'll keep local garages busy too, dealing with all the blocked DPFs and other emissions paraphernalia that will get blocked up through cars pottering about and never getting warm enough anyway as it is on IoM short journeys.

And help keep drivers forking out for the privilege.

6 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

https://www.buzzsprout.com/826228/2529070

we we’re talking about this and other stuff this week. (Its nearly an hour long btw)

And don’t worry about enforcement. Once there is something to go at effectively, then it will be policed. 

Times are a changing. The CM can’t put the genie back in the bottle with this. Safety and emissions are a big part of two declared strategies. They cannot counter this with the ‘speed tourism’ card. I personally think TT will actually attract more visitors who will perceive the place as safer. The important thing is that they don’t fudge the Mountain Road. If it’s to be kept as a fairground attraction then close it and run it as such. (And no, I’m not pitching for the contract!)

Ballsy move, and it will signal the passing of something. I will miss a fast run, but I can live with it if it makes the world a better place for others.

Ballsy move all the same. 

Will it make the world a better place for others though? Or is it just another erosion of personal freedom? Does our lack of national speed limit really make the roads any less safe? Does our lack of MOT? I do an average around 12K miles on the island every year and have done for most of the last 35 years. Does it feel less safe on the road here than else where? I don't think it does.

I personally think it is an unecessary move. If you want to make the roads safer then I'd be all for tackling the main cause of accidents - by having yearly or 5 yearly driving tests, perhaps proceeded by a course.

We're in real danger of sleepwalking into a smaller but similarly over regulated version of the UK in the assumption they are typical in world terms and somewhere to be aspired to - in many, many cases they are neither. Perhaps we need to start casting the net wider when recruiting senior civil service and other government positions if importing experts is really necessary in the first place.

In the case of emissions - there are more effective ways to cut vehicle emissions than a national speed limit. Sort out the shitstorm that our public transport system has become in the last ten years (ironically enough due to a similar attempt to Anglophi it). Or perhaps increase fuel tax?/ tax vehicles on performance rather than the half arsed system at the moment? 

15 minutes ago, Chris C said:

If you want to make the roads safer then I'd be all for tackling the main cause of accidents - by having yearly or 5 yearly driving tests, perhaps proceeded by a course.

Where is the evidence that not having yearly or 5 yearly tests is "the main cause of accidents" ?

Archived