Latest mental tourist idea

Grounds Keeper Willy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

well its certainly grabbed your attention...

What a poor attempt at trolling. No surprises there though from the forums saddest and most persistent troll. I’m sure you might get some points for effort though for someone who seems to be firmly in the troll remedial class. 

43 minutes ago, MrPB said:

What a poor attempt at trolling. No surprises there though from the forums saddest and most persistent troll. I’m sure you might get some points for effort though for someone who seems to be firmly in the troll remedial class. 

@The Orgozoid, @thesultanofsheight, @MrPB, @Cheesy Wheezy, @Grounds Keeper Willy, and @Boredom

Thats rich. Choose one persona. Stick to it. 
Reminder, moderators decision final. No challenging, contesting, protesting.

Final warning.

7 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Surely the Sultan and Cheesy Wheezy cannot be one and the same?  :unsure:

Obviously daring to respond to trolls in kind on this forum leads to a lot of paranoia and rubbish. Even from the moderators. Are the moderators actually the ones doing most of the trolling? It’s hard to see why such a paranoid, strange and incorrect outburst would be made by a moderator otherwise. 

The whole 'digital detox' thing is hardly new - here's a Mail article from 2018 for example.  I suppose it gives Mail readers a change to complain about Young People And Their Phones, but I'm not sure how effective it is at actually making people book holidays on the Island.  

Jennifer Newton[1] produces two or three 'travel' articles like this for MailOnline every workday  You'll see at least one other piece from Hope and Glory there as well.  Clearly they are PR agency copy and photos, edited if necessary into house style.  I don't know if any payment is made to the Mail for them or whether this PR stuff is just accepted as a way of filling digital space.  Clearly the PR agency will be paid a lot for it.

Of course the purpose of such coverage isn't actually to attract people to the Island.  I suspect little systematic monitoring of what works is done, though anecdotal evidence will be eagerly seized on and repeated.  Instead the idea is to demonstrate that they are doing 'something'.  Most public relations is uninterested in actually relating to the public and certainly not in demonstrating that they have produced a commercial return for their clients.  Instead it's all about  making those clients feel good.

[1]  I sometimes wonder if these names are just 'placeholders' for work produced by freelancers (like IOMN's 'A Reporter'), but she does appear to be a real person.

An agency will be employed to measure 'column inches' of #isleofman publicity obtained in UK media & achievement declared 'winning'

Other agencies of course are employed to generate those column inches & get them carried by mainstream media

I must confess total ignorance about trolling, how are people allowed more than one   name ?   Surely this is against the rules of the forum ?   If all the people named are really one person they spend most of the time arguing with themselves.   Please enlighten me John .

Archived