Latest mental tourist idea

Grounds Keeper Willy

Someone, somewhere thinks that the unique selling point that the Isle of Man should adopt to appeal to future generations of holidaymakers is to make the Island look as out of date, old hat and irrelevant as possible. Good luck with that, if your business is in the tourism sector.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, display name said:

There's always that

I suppose there’s also an issue of how much attention would or should anyone on this forum pay to anyone who got fined twenty grand for serious professional misconduct and issuing threats to people as part of the litigation process. I suppose all is subjective really. These forums seem really interesting sometimes. Do threads often go a bit crazy like this? 

7B71D32E-EA04-4242-AC83-F20AECB550ED.jpeg

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Oof, that's asking for it. 

Is it? Reading the debate I was just attempting to gauge where any middle ground might sit. I often seem to read these things wrongly though to be fair. 

2 hours ago, Dave Angel said:

I suppose there’s also an issue of how much attention would or should anyone on this forum pay to anyone who got fined twenty grand for serious professional misconduct and issuing threats to people as part of the litigation process. I suppose all is subjective really. These forums seem really interesting sometimes. Do threads often go a bit crazy like this? 

7B71D32E-EA04-4242-AC83-F20AECB550ED.jpeg

To be fair,those misdemeanors were both within an 8 month period,at which point we have no idea what he may have been going through in life to lead to such mistakes.  We've all made them,for one reason or another,and we've certainly all said something that was either taken out of context, or said in anger and perhaps regretted later.  Personally.I hold nothing against John and have no reason to,but at the same time,I don't think moderating a forum is terribly difficult and should never seem as heavy handed as it can be here occasionally. Let's face it,this place is rather mild compared to others out there.  I tend to take the approach that most of us here are grown up enough and thick skinned enough to not actually be offended.   Granted,sometimes it may all seem a bit tit for tat,but it's not exactly life threatening or to be taken too seriously afterwards. 

In the meantime,go to hell. ;)

On 1/30/2020 at 9:50 PM, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

It's great. Years ago I had an idea like that (search the forum, it's still somewhere) and I think this is great. I recently deleted Facebook from all my devices and digital detox is now a thing and lovely :)

1 hour ago, display name said:

To be fair,those misdemeanors were both within an 8 month period,at which point we have no idea what he may have been going through in life to lead to such mistakes.  We've all made them,for one reason or another,and we've certainly all said something that was either taken out of context, or said in anger and perhaps regretted later. 

That’s a good point well made. Although I’ve never paid a £20,000 fine for anything or had my conduct questioned by any professional body I have been a member of I can see where you are coming from. I was simply raising it as a benchmark to compare against as I thought it was relevant. As I said I often misread these forums and I’m still getting into the swing of things. At £350-400 an hour I assume there’s a lot of lost income associated with constantly monitoring these forums each day for a legal person whose skills are in demand so I’m sure we all have a debt of gratitude as forum members. 

The new idea which I personally think is great, perhaps because I am not a negative kind of person, has now been aired on television together with some great view of the Isle.    This kind of publicity would cost loads and it was a good idea.    Negativity is the Islands biggest problem.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:36 PM, Dave Angel said:

That’s a good point well made. Although I’ve never paid a £20,000 fine for anything or had my conduct questioned by any professional body I have been a member of I can see where you are coming from. I was simply raising it as a benchmark to compare against as I thought it was relevant. As I said I often misread these forums and I’m still getting into the swing of things. At £350-400 an hour I assume there’s a lot of lost income associated with constantly monitoring these forums each day for a legal person whose skills are in demand so I’m sure we all have a debt of gratitude as forum members. 

Fair comment,reasonableness and a splash of mild sarcasm.    Splendid. :)

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

The new idea which I personally think is great, perhaps because I am not a negative kind of person, has now been aired on television together with some great view of the Isle.    This kind of publicity would cost loads and it was a good idea.   Tynwald is the Islands biggest problem.

sorted.

Archived