Latest mental tourist idea

Grounds Keeper Willy

It's a gimic that sits awkwardly with the IOMG's determination to be at the cutting edge of tech underlined by its own Digital Strategy. Potentially, its a great idea as too many of us are too comfortable with our own company with our face glued to the screen. However, for the same money I could have 2 weeks all inclusive in Spain and just leave my phone in the hotel safe. I really can't see people paying high prices purely to lock their phone away on some damp campsite, can you?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been hearing this 'niche marketing' buzz phrase for decades now. When was the last one that really made a difference ? It only seems to generate revenue for those PR companies and individuals who dream up these schemes. This latest one ranks with the £30,000 fairy houses or whatever they were. I've quite forgotten already. 

It would help if Douglas didn't resemble Beirut at the height of the war !. Get the prom sorted, if you want to throw money away, have an offer on the racket to encourage people to come and have a look ! We are never going to compete with weeks in the sun for the same prices unless we develop niche markets !

The negativity on here is something else.

It’s not going to put anyone off and is a decent bit of PR that might (slightly ironically) gain a bit of traction on social media with likes, shares etc.

No one is being forced to give up their phones (signal at both those sites is fine in my experience) but personally I would give it a go for a couple of days.

I don’t agree with digital detox being daft.

I try and do it for a few days every now and then by revering to an ancient phone that just takes emergency calls if needed form the very few people who have the number.

I personally find it a great way to reset and have a proper rest but appreciate not everyone will agree.  I am guilty of using the smartphone way too much when I have it though.

2 hours ago, Declan said:

The idea of digital detox is daft. But there's plenty of daft beggers out there, and as the TT demonstrates the Isle of Man loves to cater for them. 

I have to say I think the idea is nuts and that very few people will take it up. It’s to gain likes on social media from idiots who will probably never come here anyway and nothing else. I’m amazed we’ve not come up with ‘the Isle of Vegan’ campaign yet to appeal to another popular emerging group of gullible idiots. 

13 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Brilliant idea. Instead of having their noses stuck in a phone all day they can actually have fun looking at where they are holidaying.

Would it not contribute to holiday enjoyment to have attractions enhanced with multi-media applications accessible by smart phone?

32 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I have to say I think the idea is nuts and that very few people will take it up. It’s to gain likes on social media from idiots who will probably never come here anyway and nothing else. I’m amazed we’ve not come up with ‘the Isle of Vegan’ campaign yet to appeal to another popular emerging group of gullible idiots. 

What it's done is put the idea of the Isle of Man as a relaxing holiday destination, into quite a few people's minds today, with some nice pictures. 

I expect Isle of Vegan next year around this time, you should copyright it. 

40 minutes ago, MrPB said:

well its certainly grabbed your attention...

Archived