Future Mann

Derek Flint

8 minutes ago, piebaps said:

There's a land of milk and honey just a short boat ride away for any English who aren't happy here.

Do you not see how destructive that attitude is? It stops a lot of investment but crack on with it because you don't want the place to improve, quite happy as it is...……...

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I’m here through choice and not accident of birth. Unlike many of its “countrymen”, I’ve a genuine desire to see the place thrive and grow. It is really frustrating and somewhat upsetting that the Island is continually clawed back into the bucket by the crabs, and a good tranche of Government where mediocrity seems to be an acceptable aspiration.

I'm not sure the bar is set that high tbh...

8 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

Good to hear about the infrastructure grant being awarded to MT to bring high speed broadband to rural areas. This is a worthwhile investment and is to applauded. I believe the money has been reallocated from the business start up grant fund that had few takers.

That'll mean the prom dug up again the day after completion.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

I’m here through choice and not accident of birth. Unlike many of its “countrymen”, I’ve a genuine desire to see the place thrive and grow. It is really frustrating and somewhat upsetting that the Island is continually clawed back into the bucket by the crabs, and a good tranche of Government where mediocrity seems to be an acceptable aspiration.

A few sensible idealists have been elected individually to Tynwald over the years, occasionally as MLCs, but all either turn into "Stepford MHKs" or effectively become isolated.

Until a sensible political party gains a majority here...its candidates all agreed on at least 5 major policies...nothing will or can change.

That is the revolution that is required here.

12 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

You will I guess have seen at first hand how government works in your previous life, the glacial pace of change, the endless talking shops and the exhaustive reports and business cases, just to take a small incremental step. It is a cultural thing that isn’t going to change anytime soon. However, it may cheer you up to know that there are some non government types now in key positions, who although frustrated by the culture and inertia, are ambitious and capable,  and are willing to push things through. Unfortunately there are not enough of them to force wholesale change, but enough to give some hope.

As for the manx crab mentality, I have found through th eyears that it is mainly restricted to a certain sub section of the thoroughbred manx, who are a shrinking demographic who unfortunately have the politicians ear as they also make up a lot of votes.

14 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

A few sensible idealists have been elected individually to Tynwald over the years, occasionally as MLCs, but all either turn into "Stepford MHKs" or effectively become isolated.

Until a sensible political party gains a majority here...its candidates all agreed on at least 5 major policies...nothing will or can change.

That is the revolution that is required here.

A revolution at least with a green tinge

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

The green tinge is more mainstream nowadays

Most significant candidates at the 2021 general election will surely reference the government's Curran Report with regard to the next programme for government?

The green tinge will quickly fade to invisibility faced with the extra £10k.

27 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

More important then that we choose -  we choose - a CM who will commit to implementing the Curran Report & a carbon zero island earlier than 2050

We won't - because we don't get that privilege.

And he won't because his strings will be pulled by people who have other interests. 

Usually their own.

22 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

As for the manx crab mentality, I have found through th eyears that it is mainly restricted to a certain sub section of the thoroughbred manx, who are a shrinking demographic who unfortunately have the politicians ear as they also make up a lot of votes.

A superb description - and bang on.

Archived