Post Prices from 6th April

ballaughbiker

9 minutes ago, WTF said:

if the post office would start transporting stuff again that are now on the banned list they might have a few more parcels to deliver, as it stands they're not delivering this and not delivering that attitude sees lots of stuff arrive by courier at greater expense,  if it is safe enough for courier transportation surely it is safe enough for postal delivery ,  what do they do different to change the so called risks ?

I think it's due to whether things come by air or by sea.  Courier companies transport in bulk by sea and then distribute.  A lot of mail comes by air (especially smaller parcels) and the regulations are different and general for air transport.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think it's due to whether things come by air or by sea.  Courier companies transport in bulk by sea and then distribute.  A lot of mail comes by air (especially smaller parcels) and the regulations are different and general for air transport.

i have picked up courier delivery items that arrived at the airport and there is nothing stopping iom post office from shipping parcels in if need be,  they weren't interested it seems and now they have less to do they want to charge more to keep the money coming in, typical iom business logic.

17 minutes ago, WTF said:

i have picked up courier delivery items that arrived at the airport and there is nothing stopping iom post office from shipping parcels in if need be,  they weren't interested it seems and now they have less to do they want to charge more to keep the money coming in, typical iom business logic.

Must have studied H&B's business model!

That's true Roger, but there is no reason they could not simply bring in packages and parcels currently governed by a blanket ban by having an IOMPO container arriving by sea.

Having said that, we have worse problems to solve just now.  The posties at the doors, or 2m away from it - are - and always have been brilliant people.  But I query a few of the management policies when I order a simple item from the UK advertised with a sensible delivery charge only to be told either it's four times more to get it here or they don't send it here at all!

I'm not sure about the postage rates for trade ebayers sending from Jersey and Guernsey, but they have been gaining massively on prices due to having no VAT.

Keep flourishing, stay safe.

Has anyone checked these new IOM post prices out which start today? 

I have a packet to go to the UK today 35x22x12 cm with a weight of 1.6kg which is non-urgent.

IOM post cost looks like £7.74

UK Post Office same but going the other way looks like £3.10

WTF? It's more than double!

It's now going Hermes, collected, for £6.65

And they wonder why the Post Offices in this Island are shutting down.Still as Schoolteachers your family are paid to sit at home all day earning the big bucks whilst those still at work have to provide their own childcare.Leaches in the first instance..ballaughbiker...

1 hour ago, war baby said:

But I query a few of the management policies when I order a simple item from the UK advertised with a sensible delivery charge only to be told either it's four times more to get it here or they don't send it here at all!

That’s down to the merchant, not IoM Post. I’ve tried to explain to some that straightforward post is at the same rates as UK addresses. They refuse and insist on charging more or sometimes put the extra down to customs charges and extra paperwork. 
They don’t get my business. 

1 hour ago, SJR said:

Has anyone checked these new IOM post prices out which start today? 

I have a packet to go to the UK today 35x22x12 cm with a weight of 1.6kg which is non-urgent.

IOM post cost looks like £7.74

UK Post Office same but going the other way looks like £3.10

WTF? It's more than double!

It's now going Hermes, collected, for £6.65

Ballaughbiker had the same trouble.:thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, kevster said:

That’s down to the merchant, not IoM Post. I’ve tried to explain to some that straightforward post is at the same rates as UK addresses. They refuse and insist on charging more or sometimes put the extra down to customs charges and extra paperwork. 

Indeed. Some merchants seem to have contracts with courier operations to the exclusion of Royal Mail. Said couriers are always inordinately expensive, "off-shore islands" rates to include lumping IoM in with the Outer Hebrides. If they say they won't post Royal Mail, look elsewhere.

1 hour ago, kevster said:

A strategy that sometimes works is to order as UK inland and enter your address as just town and postcode e.g. Peel. IM5, without mentioning Isle of Man. That will often prompt their systems to put it through at ordinary UK postal rate which is correct anyway. Some sites have IOM as an option to select for carriage but if you select it a charge of £30 or something nonsensical comes up, even if it arrives in a jiffy bag. Or alternatively, worse still, it will say they don't deliver offshore at all when clearly they can at no extra cost to themselves. 

1 hour ago, woolley said:

A strategy that sometimes works is to order as UK inland and enter your address as just town and postcode e.g. Peel. IM5, without mentioning Isle of Man. That will often prompt their systems to put it through at ordinary UK postal rate which is correct anyway. Some sites have IOM as an option to select for carriage but if you select it a charge of £30 or something nonsensical comes up, even if it arrives in a jiffy bag. Or alternatively, worse still, it will say they don't deliver offshore at all when clearly they can at no extra cost to themselves. 

Some places seem to use a standard drop-down menu that has 'Isle of Man' on it, but price-wise it just defaults to a Rest of World costing.  As you say the way to get round it is to enter UK and if they are using Royal Mail they won't mind.  Those who use couriers will always work it out using the post code because the extra charges for some Highland will mean they always have to assess using that, not just the country.

Archived