Post Prices from 6th April

ballaughbiker

Has anyone checked these new IOM post prices out which start today? 

I have a packet to go to the UK today 35x22x12 cm with a weight of 1.6kg which is non-urgent.

IOM post cost looks like £7.74

UK Post Office same but going the other way looks like £3.10

WTF? It's more than double!

It's now going Hermes, collected, for £6.65

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IOM Post have changed the bandings for packets, which means that there is now a limit of 1.5kg instead of 2kg for the second band.

The UK still has a limit of 2kg. It also has 2nd class mail, which is quite a lot cheaper than 1st class. Their small parcels are cheaper than our packets. 

We gain on ordinary letters with a rate of 62p - theirs are 65p second class, 76p first class.

Our large letters are broadly in line with their first class large letters.

There's no logic to it.

1 hour ago, ballaughbiker said:

Has anyone checked these new IOM post prices out which start today? 

I have a packet to go to the UK today 35x22x12 cm with a weight of 1.6kg which is non-urgent.

IOM post cost looks like £7.74

UK Post Office same but going the other way looks like £3.10

WTF? It's more than double!

It's now going Hermes, collected, for £6.65

I used to sell a few bits on EBay and stopped when they introduced the packet/letter restrictions (some years ago now!) it’s impossible to be competitively priced when postage even then was nearly double what the UK charged.

Yes. This was "pricing in proportion" which killed a lot of small mail order businesses on the Island stone dead. A small light item could be sent for the cost of a letter 1st class, say 28p at the time, and the recipient would have it the next day. Then the size and shape regime came in and that 28p became £1.30 overnight if something was an inch wide and up progressively from there.  I do understand the rationale if they really, really couldn't transport it for less than that, and if they were losing money on it. There is no point in doing work at a loss, and I appreciate that pricing in proportion was initially imposed by the UK. I do wonder though, if they realised that the margins on much of that business were such that it would simply cease. The place is ridiculously top heavy and, no doubt, the cost of all that is built into the pricing structure.

Just now, Donald Trumps said:

I'd make it a workers co-operative

It's a workers un-co-operative at the moment. They've lost 2 of my tracked parcels here in a month...make you do all the chasing and talk to you like shit when you ask where it is...and also expect you to know how their internal systems work.

Unfit for purpose. Needs privatising when the covid bills have to be sorted.

Not all are useless to be fair...but too many are.

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

Yes. This was "pricing in proportion" which killed a lot of small mail order businesses on the Island stone dead. A small light item could be sent for the cost of a letter 1st class, say 28p at the time, and the recipient would have it the next day. Then the size and shape regime came in and that 28p became £1.30 overnight if something was an inch wide and up progressively from there.  I do understand the rationale if they really, really couldn't transport it for less than that, and if they were losing money on it. There is no point in doing work at a loss, and I appreciate that pricing in proportion was initially imposed by the UK. I do wonder though, if they realised that the margins on much of that business were such that it would simply cease. The place is ridiculously top heavy and, no doubt, the cost of all that is built into the pricing structure.

Quite simply, they've been left behind. The ethos of customer being King bypassed them long ago.

From their website it seems that they're now down to one development manager (from three) and not before time and in fact might too late.

Archived