Post Prices from 6th April

ballaughbiker

2 hours ago, woolley said:

A strategy that sometimes works is to order as UK inland and enter your address as just town and postcode e.g. Peel. IM5, without mentioning Isle of Man. That will often prompt their systems to put it through at ordinary UK postal rate which is correct anyway. Some sites have IOM as an option to select for carriage but if you select it a charge of £30 or something nonsensical comes up, even if it arrives in a jiffy bag. Or alternatively, worse still, it will say they don't deliver offshore at all when clearly they can at no extra cost to themselves. 

I agree.

Some of the charges are just silly.Part of the problem is  a sort of geographical blindeness.

Many years back, I had a wonderful chat on the phone  with a  chirpy young lady who was about to despatch a large item to me from Sussex.I  gave my address but my description of  where the Isle of Man was ran contrary to her firm  ideas of the geography  of the  British  Isles.

- If somewhere wasn’t “Ing-gland” it must be “I er-lund “  which in turn be” Nor-vern“ or “Suv-ern”and there was Sco- land.

.She was very understanding about the fact that clearly I did not know where I lived and said if I wished, she  could arrange  for  me to pick the item up from one of their offices... in Southampton.

Anyway,...2 weeks  later the parcel arrived in IoM. (Credit due to Post Office)  .The label was addressed ..etc... etc.. “ Isle of WHITE” ( sic)

btw,  I have found “ Ship2Man “  very reasonable  for big items like furniture etc.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

I agree.

Some of the charges are just silly.Part of the problem is  a sort of geographical blindeness.

Many years back, I had a wonderful chat on the phone  with a  chirpy young lady who was about to despatch a large item to me from Sussex.I  gave my address but my description of  where the Isle of Man was ran contrary to her firm  ideas of the geography  of the  British  Isles.

- If somewhere wasn’t “Ing-gland” it must be “I er-lund “  which in turn be” Nor-vern“ or “Suv-ern”and there was Sco- land.

.She was very understanding about the fact that clearly I did not know where I lived and said if I wished, she  could arrange  for  me to pick the item up from one of their offices... in Southampton.

Anyway,...2 weeks  later the parcel arrived in IoM. (Credit due to Post Office)  .The label was addressed ..etc... etc.. “ Isle of WHITE” ( sic)

btw,  I have found “ Ship2Man “  very reasonable  for big items like furniture etc.

i used ship to man for an item and the sender sent in in the worlds buggest box with lots of air bags for protection,  i got hosed for half a pallet. it added 30% to the cost of the item. not ship to mans fault  but i will only use them for smaller heavy items in compact packaging now.

8 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

I agree.

She sounds very much like a young lady who I encountered whilst arranging to have an original sealed document directed from a lawyer's office in London to a client's holiday home in Wales. I emailed the address which was the one word house name,  entirely consonants,  the village,  Llwyngwril, and postcode. I received a call from a very confused,  very young lady who told me the address had come through garbled and could I send it again. "It's Welsh." said I. After a moment's hesitation she replied "Well could you send an English translation otherwise it'll get lost." Great education system. 

Higher postal charges for internal and off-Island mail will just be another financial obstacle and stumbling block to local small businesses who would aspire to export. I wonder if the DfE ever think about stuff like this and make representation to the Post Office?

9 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

I had a parcel arrive on the Tuesday after languishing all weekend in the UK warehouse from the Friday. Which I suppose I have to take on the chin. They phoned me on Wednesday and said they could deliver the following Monday.

I wanted to say expletives, but just easier to go and pick it up. Which if course was a result for Manx Independent Carriers. 

It's often worth considering paying the sender the extra to have the item delivered all the way.

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Higher postal charges for internal and off-Island mail will just be another financial obstacle and stumbling block to local small businesses who would aspire to export. I wonder if the DfE ever think about stuff like this and make representation to the Post Office?

Don't be daft!.... DfE have no clue how business works.

13 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

She was very understanding about the fact that clearly I did not know where I lived and said if I wished, she  could arrange  for  me to pick the item up from one of their offices... in Southampton.

I had a somewhat similar experience with a supplier in London.  The package arrived okay, but addressed to 'The Isle Of Whyte Man'.

True!

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

My cherry brandy kit finally turned up, ordered 11 days ago! 2 weeks it reckons to kick out the best part of a gallon of 16% silliness. Everyone needs a hobby.

booze.jpg

hope it tastes better than it looks...

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

hope it tastes better than it looks...

I've literally started it today, it only arrived this morning, it looks like that cos its full of yeast and sugar. It's supposed to look like that. Next couple of days it should bubble like crazy.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

My cherry brandy kit finally turned up, ordered 11 days ago! 2 weeks it reckons to kick out the best part of a gallon of 16% silliness. Everyone needs a hobby.

booze.jpg

Everyone round to Teapot's place...... oh, hang on!

ETA: that's the only thing cupboards under sinks are for.... brewing beer or wine.

Archived