IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

On 7/8/2020 at 10:21 PM, joebean said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=56541&headline=The word on the street: 'Don't open our border yet'&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

We really do need to have an adult conversation on the Island about risk and risk-mitigation. The debate, if there is one, is being dominated by an irrational and paranoid hysteria about Coronavirus, based on our current ability to pull up the drawbridge and prevent any infection getting to the Island. We need a discussion about how the risk can be managed and widespread infection prevented, whilst affording the population the right of freedom of movement. To believe that we can live in isolation until the virus goes away, when there is no certainty it ever will, is simplistic and ill-conceived. Will any of our politicians have the guts to start a more reasoned debate and get the public thinking of how we can live with the disease as safely as possible, like everyone else in the free world has to?

Could the "Calf of Man" be the only island in the UK / World to have evaded the virus ?

8 hours ago, manxman34 said:

This is the S*n quoting a biased organisation which puts accounting over social outcomes and regularly advocates policies that benefit the very rich. I wonder why this article has been published in a Murdoch rag?

You still haven’t explained where the money to pay for the lockdown is coming from.

My understanding is that the Manx government was borrowing 250 mio just to pay for the immediate shortfall. That doesn’t cover for the structural deficit; once the reality of the sheer scale of the long term economic damage sinks in.

You could have built several brand new Noble hospitals with all that and saved more people in the longer (but frankly also in the medium) term.

1 hour ago, Foot Loose said:

You still haven’t explained where the money to pay for the lockdown is coming from.

My understanding is that the Manx government was borrowing 250 mio just to pay for the immediate shortfall. That doesn’t cover for the structural deficit; once the reality of the sheer scale of the long term economic damage sinks in.

You could have built several brand new Noble hospitals with all that and saved more people in the longer (but frankly also in the medium) term.

How many promenades would it build?

1 hour ago, Foot Loose said:

Borrowing the £250M is a sensible idea. It’s half of what Jersey has borrowed but we do need to borrow money in that range to see us through. My understanding that it’s not all for the immediate shortfall but also to go towards some investment in the future. It really is “finger in the air” stuff at the moment though as they can’t accurately predict what the fallout of all this will be. They were (luckily) well under the amount of compensation they thought they would have to pay out to unemployed workers and businesses so a lot of this is just making sensible decisions as things unravel which they’ve largely done so far. 

53 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Borrowing the £250M is a sensible idea. It’s half of what Jersey has borrowed but we do need to borrow money in that range to see us through. My understanding that it’s not all for the immediate shortfall but also to go towards some investment in the future. It really is “finger in the air” stuff at the moment though as they can’t accurately predict what the fallout of all this will be. They were (luckily) well under the amount of compensation they thought they would have to pay out to unemployed workers and businesses so a lot of this is just making sensible decisions as things unravel which they’ve largely done so far. 

Thanks for the info. Let me know if there is any official paper regarding the matter. I can't find much in the government web-page.

It is not that criticising the government is so enjoyable. Our log term well-being depends, at least in part, on the government being solvent and effective. It will affect also those who have plenty of means of their own. You can't escape it easily.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Foot Loose said:

Thanks for the info. Let me know if there is any official paper regarding the matter. I can't find much in the government web-page.

It is not that criticising the government is so enjoyable. Our log term well-being depends, at least in part, on the government being solvent and effective. It will affect also those who have plenty of means of their own. You can't escape it easily.

I think the trick will be making sure the money is spent where the IOM economy will get the best benefit. Not on expensive useless crap departments like the DOI will dream up to keep them all employed messing up the Island. Cannan isn’t daft so hopefully he and Treasury gets to call the shots. 

• Like 2

It goes before Tynwald in a week or so.  The 250m is potentially what they could borrow.  I doubt they'll utilise that much initially.  Lots to sift through over the next 6 months.

The banks are not helping by keeping people at home.  The bigger banks are being dictated to by the UK head offices and being treated as a UK bank branch.  There's talk that Barclays won't entertain many staff in before September and for RBS group the end of the year.

12 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It goes before Tynwald in a week or so.  The 250m is potentially what they could borrow.  I doubt they'll utilise that much initially.  Lots to sift through over the next 6 months.

The banks are not helping by keeping people at home.  The bigger banks are being dictated to by the UK head offices and being treated as a UK bank branch.  There's talk that Barclays won't entertain many staff in before September and for RBS group the end of the year.

My wife works for RBSI and there is no intention of getting them back into the office any time soon. 

5 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

The Iom gov has not borrowed anything. Yet. The point of the proposal was to allow the borrowing in the future should it be required. So far it has not. I think the ability to borrow the money was also part of the state of emergency act. Since that act is now defunct, the ability to borrow is also possibly defunct. 

23 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The Iom gov has not borrowed anything. Yet. The point of the proposal was to allow the borrowing in the future should it be required. So far it has not. I think the ability to borrow the money was also part of the state of emergency act. Since that act is now defunct, the ability to borrow is also possibly defunct. 

It will only ever be borrowed to ensure their own salaries/pensions are met.

15 minutes ago, Cambon said:

It doesn't have anything to do with the state of emergency act.

They will be borrowing too.  Absolutely nailed on.  But it's cheap to borrow so no big deal really.