IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

27 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Hi Neil, sorry you are getting flack unjustly from a Post I made but I am sure you are not unduly upset as the remark came from a total halfwit.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you are taking stupidity to a new level

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

And in fresh news, the boy David announces it is too soon to relax the border restrictions. Is it? How much longer can we go on living in a bubble without seriously damaging trade, tourism and totally pissing off EasyJet? Thoughts?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/too-soon-to-relax-border-restrictions/

Oh I don’t know. Family and “friends” how the fuck are they going to police that? Sounds to me like just another exercise in Covidiot managing. Pretend the borders are still closed but just about anyone can still come here anyway but it stops a load of idiots from crapping their pants as they believe that controls still apply. I’d rather testing. At least it’s honest and provides clear outputs that can be monitored rather than trying to pretend we have a system. The criteria they apply to “friends” and how the hell they can meaningfully police it will be interesting. Will they be resorting to checking people’s Facebook accounts for evidence of previous friendship? It’s just nonsense really. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Oh I don’t know. Family and “friends” how the fuck are they going to police that? Sounds to me like just another exercise in Covidiot managing. Pretend the borders are still closed but just about anyone can still come here anyway but it stops a load of idiots from crapping their pants as they believe that controls still apply. I’d rather testing. At least it’s honest and provides clear outputs that can be monitored rather than trying to pretend we have a system. The criteria they apply to “friends” and how the hell they can meaningfully police it will be interesting. Will they be resorting to checking people’s Facebook accounts for evidence of previous friendship? It’s just nonsense really. 

Government reverting to their usual useless selves

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Oh I don’t know. Family and “friends” how the fuck are they going to police that? Sounds to me like just another exercise in Covidiot managing. Pretend the borders are still closed but just about anyone can come here anyway but it stops a load of idiots from crapping their pants as they believe that controls still apply. I’d rather testing. At least it’s honest rather than trying to pretend we have a system. The criteria they apply to “friends” and how the hell they cam meaningfully police it will be interesting. Will they be resorting to checking people’s Facebook accounts for evidence of previous friendship? 

The thing is, as it sits now, those friends or family will still have to at least ‘pretend’ they are self isolating in a separate bedroom for 14 days on arrival here.

It’s hardly a game changer.

Quayle & Ashford will no doubt bring in the move to Level 3 with much fanfare & self adulation when the reality of the situation means pretty much nothing will have changed.

By the time that announcement comes around Jersey will have tested pretty much the equivalent of their entire 105,000 population (and still won’t have a single hospital admission).

Edited by Nom de plume

17 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

The thing is, as it sits now, those friends or family will still have to at least ‘pretend’ they are self isolating in a separate bedroom for 14 days on arrival here.

Well that’s the thing. Presumably family and “friends” will stay with you in the same house all sharing the same space and air so it’s actually dafter than bringing over tourists who will stay in holiday accommodation on their own while self isolating so they are more likely to give the rest of the household Covid if they bring it over. The fact we aren’t prepared to test but will allow silly, unchecked, processes like this apply is simply unbelievable. All it’s doing is managing the loonies who want to keep the world out when you look at it, it’s not actually doing much else. In fact from a risk perspective it seems to make no sense whatsoever. 

• Like 2

The existing 14 day quarantine without testing is stupid.

reason , near neighbors just returned from UK so isolating. Son lives with them so is eating meals etc with them, coming & going to work, visiting girl friend, out in pub etc. other son called around with girl friend, stayed in garden but still talking etc.

this is happening all over island and not one person is being tested.

so how can all the idiots think they are safe with borders closed. Testing must be the solution and soon

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Well that’s the thing. Presumably family and “friends” will stay with you in the same house all sharing the same space and air so it’s actually dafter than bringing over tourists who will stay in holiday accommodation on their own while self isolating so they are more likely to give the rest of the household Covid if they bring it over. The fact we aren’t prepared to test but will allow silly, unchecked, processes like this apply is simply unbelievable. All it’s doing is managing the loonies who want to keep the world out when you look at it, it’s not actually doing much else.

That’s exactly what it is.

It’s either an unbelievably clever ploy by CoMin to distract the mentalists & keep them off the scent or incredibly stupid.

The fact that nobody entering our shores will be tested means it’s a statistical guarantee the virus is coming back soon & in a very aggressive, almost unmanageable way.

If they want to kill off the elderly & vulnerable population on this Island, this is the policy to do it.

Crackers & quite alarming.

There are some seemingly intelligent people in these parts who simply can’t see the woods for the trees on this topic.

I’m still waiting for an answer from Non Believer as to why the ageing population in Jersey is not being decimated despite their borders being opened with testing on arrival since July 3rd (nearly two months). Not a single hospital admission.

Edited by Nom de plume

How did they get past checkin....

Couple detained by police for entering Island without permission

Tuesday, August 25th, 2020 6:40am

864186-1.jpg

Holidaymakers put on next available flight home

A couple from London had their holiday to the Island cut short last week, after they were detained by police at Ronaldsway.

The holidaymakers, who said they were hoping to visit friends, arrived at the airport on Friday night without exemption certificates.

After 24 hours in quarantine however, they were put on the next available flight home.

Superintendent Steve Maddocks says it was a necessary step to keep the Island safe:

16 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

It’s either an unbelievably clever ploy by CoMin to distract the mentalists & keep them off the scent or incredibly stupid.

That’s all it can be as from a risk perspective it’s not doing anything to reduce the risks. It’s ensuring people co-mingle in the same house with people from outside the IOM untested and largely unchecked. But we can still pretend the borders are still closed (to anyone who doesn't vaguely know anyone from the IOM that is). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

That’s all it can be as from a risk perspective it’s not doing anything to reduce the risks. It’s ensuring people co-mingle in the same house with people from outside the IOM untested and largely unchecked. 

Exactly right, posted an actual scenario above which is being repeated island wide 

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

I’m still waiting for an answer from Non Believer as to why the ageing population in Jersey is not being decimated despite their borders being opened with testing on arrival since July 3rd (nearly two months). Not a single hospital admission.

I can't tell you that because I don't know, nor am I overly familiar with Jersey.

However I do know that deaths of our elderly (and others) due to COVID have ceased for the present and personally, I'd like to keep it that way until this virus is better understood.

The fact that a first world country such as the USA with all its resources can suffer over 152,000 reported COVID deaths and UK populations only 40 miles away are having Govt lockdowns reinstated speaks for itself.

As does the FACT that our own Govt who are availed of advice and information not available to anybody on these boards see fit to keep our borders closed, presumably on the grounds of that advice. A Govt that otherwise in most instances invariably bends over to accommodate business and industry on the Island. So they clearly have their reasons based on the scientific advice available to them.

This is the New World. Get used to it. The other alternatives are varying degrees of masks, restrictions, distancing and lockdowns. And for the unfortunate - death.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I can't tell you that because I don't know, nor am I overly familiar with Jersey.

However I do know that deaths of our elderly (and others) due to COVID have ceased for the present and personally, I'd like to keep it that way until this virus is better understood.

The fact that a first world country such as the USA with all its resources can suffer over 152,000 reported COVID deaths and UK populations only 40 miles away are having Govt lockdowns reinstated speaks for itself.

As does the FACT that our own Govt who are availed of advice and information not available to anybody on these boards see fit to keep our borders closed, presumably on the grounds of that advice. A Govt that otherwise in most instances invariably bends over to accommodate business and industry on the Island. So they clearly have their reasons based on the scientific advice available to them.

This is the New World. Get used to it. The other alternatives are varying degrees of masks, restrictions, distancing and lockdowns. And for the unfortunate - death.

Thank you.

Do you believe the proposed policy of friends & family entering is a safer alternative to testing on arrival?

864186-1.jpg

All it needs is some tumble weed, the doorways to be filled with homeless unemployed, HQ driving past casting alms to the poor and a picket line of 'I'm all right Jack' OAPs and Civil Servants splaying banners of 'Keep the Bastards Out' to complete the picture of the impending doom.

• Haha 1