IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 hours ago, John Wright said:

The 7 day test was costed at £50 to cover time, wages ( nurse and path lab staff ) and consumables ( sterile swab, sealable sterile sample tube, reagents and PPE). So, let’s say £100-£125. There’s plenty of capacity. There’s scope to allow profit for DHSC, private contractor, and @rachomics supplying reagents. In fact, these private test profits could subsidise, or fully cover, 7 day testing for returning patient transfers. Even day 1 testing as well. Especially as recent cases have been returning PT related and they have extra vulnerability, two have ended in hospital. Would help protect.

Dont be silly John the civil service and their petty jealousy wont let anyone make a profit.

Its only the big multi nationals that are okay here to make money. Small business are tied up in petty bureaucracy and hurdles thrown in their way all the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

It does seem bonkers, but they do not have the vires to charge.  

I am not sure what vires they need to charge, like they charge for prescriptions or use of hospital facilities while in the private wing and so on. I can't see how this is any different.

Unless, of course, the real reason is that they want to minimise the number of tests for some bizarre reason like, for example, wanting to find another supplier of the reagents, perhaps? 

Of course they have the vires to charge. I go see a private Dr, he orders imaging, it’s done at Nobles. He orders blood tests. It’s done at Nobles, in the path lab. They even have a billing system in place.

12 hours ago, Anyone said:

At least we know now as Dr Allison said on the radio that Comin policy is eradication. That’s fine now we know. But it means 14 day quarantine will remain until the whole world is covid free. That could be a while. What damage that does , or does not , will take a while to become clear. I think it will be significant but hopefully not permanent , but it might be because the eradication policy while it will please many is a blinkered one.

Not necessarily, things would have moved on msssively by the end of winter, if the virus isn't contained globally or an effective vaccine/s rolled out categorically then there will be measures in place to quickly identify it and isloate the person so that as near as is possible we live as much of a semblence of what we collectively accept as life.

Edited by yootalkin2me

20 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Of course they have the vires to charge. I go see a private Dr, he orders imaging, it’s done at Nobles. He orders blood tests. It’s done at Nobles, in the path lab. They even have a billing system in place.

I don't think they do for treatment under these circumstances. 

If I am wrong I am sure someone will be along soon to correct me. 😃

8 minutes ago, Apple said:

I don't think they do for treatment under these circumstances. 

If I am wrong I am sure someone will be along soon to correct me. 😃

I accept there might be a lacunae doing it direct. So it needs an enterprising private provider to be interposed.

And a very quick amendment could be made using emergency powers. Oh, wait, that wouldn’t involve imprisonment.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Exactly my point John.  There seemed to be a conflation on the process to accept payments and the power to charge. 

28 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I accept there might be a lacunae doing it direct. So it needs an enterprising private provider to be interposed.

And a very quick amendment could be made using emergency powers. Oh, wait, that wouldn’t involve imprisonment.

Quite so, they can quite easily bring in a new imprisonable offence under emergency powers, but not a payment for a test.  Wonder what is really going on.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Testing is only good if you have a good track and trace system. This is where it's gone awry in the uk. They are finding all these new cases but not being able to track and trace. I'm sure I'll be corrected but I'm sure Germany has stopped testing altogether. 

Most countries including Germany , Spain,Italy are doing more testing than before which is why cases are going to record levels.

A number of countries are testing on arrival or insisting on negative test before you can enter eg UAE, Spain, Greece.

IOM Stands out as one of few countries doing minimal testing 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Too many caveats.

Rachel's setup means we have potential capacity to test over 1000 people a day, yet we're skimping about who may or may not have been close enough to be a close contact and whacking out a few dozen tests per day.

In two months we could test the entire population.

And Rachel whomever she is would be raking it in

ready to retest entire nation again 2 months later.  ching ching 

Wise up, commercial business wants more recognition and sub contractor pay check, hardly NEWS.     The woman is one of a team of ‘experts’ doing the profession they are paid to do, TEAM!  Like the rest of the island who are doing their bit.  
 I certainly would not want her testing me, my missus or the kids as she quite obviously doesn’t understand ‘trust and confidentiality’.   

fancy yourselves as Manxileaks via this forum to get pay check back on track. 

16 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Jersey is interesting, they so far seem unable to stop the case numbers increasing and the rate seems to be increasing yet hospital admissions stay at zero. It seems it could go either way going forward for them.

They are providing good data at zero risk to us on the IOM so let us see what they are like after Christmas.

This is the key. We have to learn to live with this and stop kicking up a fuss whenever we register an infection, an infection which increasingly doesn't progress to a case and put any strain on our health service. 

We need to hear of a plan soon that doesn't just involve more restrictions. 

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

And Rachel whomever she is would be raking it in

ready to retest entire nation again 2 months later.  ching ching 

Wise up, commercial business wants more recognition and sub contractor pay check, hardly NEWS.     The woman is one of a team of ‘experts’ doing the profession they are paid to do, TEAM!  Like the rest of the island who are doing their bit.  
 I certainly would not want her testing me, my missus or the kids as she quite obviously doesn’t understand ‘trust and confidentiality’.   

fancy yourselves as Manxileaks via this forum to get pay check back on track. 

How so. She’s been providing and mixing the reagents at cost. No profit there.

As far as I’m aware she isn’t involved in forward facing testing, at all. No breach there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Anyone said:

At least we know now as Dr Allison said on the radio that Comin policy is eradication. That’s fine now we know. But it means 14 day quarantine will remain until the whole world is covid free. That could be a while. What damage that does , or does not , will take a while to become clear. I think it will be significant but hopefully not permanent , but it might be because the eradication policy while it will please many is a blinkered one.

No it does not. It means 14 days until all or most of the elderly and high risk are inoculated. So hopefully in the spring in time for the tourist season.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Jersey is interesting, they so far seem unable to stop the case numbers increasing and the rate seems to be increasing yet hospital admissions stay at zero. It seems it could go either way going forward for them.

They are providing good data at zero risk to us on the IOM so let us see what they are like after Christmas.

Are Jersey testing people on admission to hospital, though? I am of the understanding that the two people we had in hospital tested positive on admission for other issues. One has passed away. Both had been travelling regularly to Liverpool for treatment.