IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Wow! Yes I know him too. And I knew the biker he killed.

Well there you go.

I used to campaign for no speed limits and know for a fact that I was successful where it mattered.

I sometimes wish I had not bothered. I just don't trust some of these kids on the road. Yes I was young once but they were very different days on the road.

Lockdown speed limit. From 4pm/midnight tomorrow I reckon.

A deeply sad incident. Almost as sad is the fact it's had no impact whatsoever on his perception of his own ability. I must admit I'd be much happier when out on my bike if his ban had been a lifetime one.

I disagree with speed limits in the main, though some are very obviously needed. An all-island 40 during lockdown wouldn't bother me, except that I think it's a bit pointless.

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Yes, lots of evidence to back this up. Has been for quite some time too! Everyone on the island should be taking Vit D through the winter. And probably summer, our summers are often a bit crap.

Given that view and the evidence then should our Pubic Health Department be suggesting this. (I am not being critical of them but maybe there are a few more nuggets of 'advice' they can suggest rather than "don't do this" stuff all the time?

21 minutes ago, Apple said:

Have been looking into the use of Vitamin D to enhance the immune system. Apparently it is highly recommended and seem to have a significant impact.

Does anyone have any personal experience of this or is it just another false dawn ?

According  to Which? magazine, over use of Vit |D can lead to bone problems in older people which may outweigh the benefits?

So, before you OD  on supplements consider natural sun light to give you the required dose?#

Whats the price of supplements????

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CowMan said:

And then there is the Hillberry Corner incident, a few hundred yards down from the current video. 

As I said, strikingly similar too.

Edited by Barlow

8 minutes ago, Barlow said:

And then there is the Hillberry Corner incident, a few hundred yards down from the current video. 

As I said, strikingly similar too.

Good luck finding any links or articles or especially discussion about that one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Terminal said:

You must be one of these people up there doing 45 with a half mile queue of cars behind you. I’ve probably overtaken you every day for the last 35 years 👍

Notwithstanding that the time difference over 14 miles travelling at 45 or 60 is negligible, your suggestion is clearly incorrect. I have a massive penis and am obviously the better driver in my (insert bellend vehicle of choice) STIXRGTiV47 which makes me fasterer than you.:thumbsup:

Past presenters of multiple personas, sock puppets, have been told not post 'empty threads' banned or otherwise castigated off the forums.

I cant recollect any previous socks of youself . Peter, but there must have been a previous for you to know of past behaviour of these forums?

Go back to your original persona, be honest to yourself.

Other Posters have elected to present their selves as Govt Apologists, Terry fw and that other twit, something Reason, ? Yet when challenged, the old characters appear? TSM, MTP arose from the past apparently without any help from TERRYFW????

Peter ? if you want to opine on here, better to do so as yourself or your origional self as we will surely  find you out as any other persona?

Sock puppets are a bit of a nuisance on forums and for their selves, a waste, possibly, of their talents?

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Kopek said:

According  to Which? magazine, over use of Vit |D can lead to bone problems in older people which may outweigh the benefits?

So, before you OD  on supplements consider natural sun light to give you the required dose?#

Whats the price of supplements????

Good point. 

A Spanish study shows a massive benefit in lessening ITU admissions.  New Study: Vitamin D Reduces Risk of ICU Admission 97%

Quote: The dosage of calcifediol converts to IU (international units at a ratio of 200 to 1). So 10 micrograms of calcifediol is 2000 IU of vitamin D, whereas 10 micrograms of vitamin D3 is 400 IU (a 40:1 ratio). The dosage given to the patients, in IUs, was:

Day one: 106,400 IU of vitamin D
Day three: 53,200 IU
Day seven: 53,200 IU
Once-a-week thereafter: 53,200 IU

This is equivalent to about 30,000 IU per day for the first week, and 7,600 IU per day thereafter. Yes, you can take your vitamin D supplement in a once-a-week dosage, instead of daily.

The results were astounding (and highly statistically significant). “Of 50 patients treated with calcifediol, one required admission to the ICU (2%), while of 26 untreated patients, 13 required admission (50%)”. Would you rather have a 50% risk of needing ICU care, or a 2% risk? Almost all hospitalized Covid-19 patients who die, die in the ICU. That is where the most severe cases are sent. So this study shows that vitamin D reduces the severity of Covid-19.

If these benefits are valid then I hope this is part of the treatment regime here for those patients in Nobles at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Apple said:

If these benefits are valid then I hope this is part of the treatment regime here for those patients in Nobles at the moment.

I am a believer in ensuring you have enough as a benefit to your general health and remain skeptical of remarkable claims. 

There has been quite a push for high dose vitamin c & d and zinc from certain sections of society, often the same people who were shouting about hydroxychloriqine or invermectin earlier in the pandemic. Strangely there is often an overlap with opposition to vaccines.

You're obviously pretty switched on with some things in our health service, I'm sure you'll figure out what's best for you.

• Like 1

20% population of the British Isles have  blood levels of vitamin D , as 25 (OH) D which is generally regarded as deficient.

70 % plus of our Vitamin D requirements are met from the effects of UVB from sunlight  on our skin, the small remainder is from our diet.

At our geographical latitude,   this is insufficient from early Nov to Mid April.To make up this shortfall by diet alone is impractical  There is a limit to how much  oily fish, egg yolk, sundried mushroooms, fortified magarine and breakfast cereals one can consume.

People with dark skin, people who rarely go out, care home residents, nursing mothers , the obese and the elderly are more likely to have low levels.
Hence the case for taking VitD.

Fortification isn’t new.In WW2 margarine was fortified with Vit D, still is.

Nordic countries mostly give supplements.(Finland since end of the war)

Levels needed to sustain bone health are lower than that required to  ensure immune resilience - white cell maturation and especially “modulation”  of immune response to infection,( avoiding the destructive “cytokine storm” of inflammatory over reaction and self- destruction seen in Covid infections) 

Several studies  looking at respiratory infections in general as well as Covid infections, show  lowered morbidity and mortality amongst those with an optimal level of Vit D and an increase likelihood of infection and poor outcome for those with  low or very low levels.

For the elderly, having an optimal level  there is strong evidence of  better muscle function, balance and reduced falls ( which if for no other reason is a case for its use) Less  firm evidence regarding improved cognitive function depression, and there is equivocal evidence in younger people regarding less auto immune disease and some evidence to suggest lower incidence of some malignancies, notably bowel 

Public health England  already do recommend everyone should receive Vitamin D supplements “all year or at least during winter” as does public health here in IOM ( look at the website )but they don’t  seem to promote it that strongly.

Very cheap , few pence day,  easily available, and for the vast majority very safe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1