IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

The new Manx variant would at least get us on the map, they do say that all publicity is good publicity.

We have missed the boat on that one as the naming of a new variant now seems to avoid attaching any location of its origin lest that fuels discriminatory action.

The best we can hope for is for a variant to pop up after the Sigma variant emerges so we can capitalise on the Theta designation, perhaps it could be a double variant abbreviated to TT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

If you could infer anything from Howards tone of voice, it would be along the lines of:-

“ Thank God I’m out of here in the next few months. I won’t have to listen to anymore of these whinging ungrateful idiots for whom I have worked tirelessly, including saving them from the worst ravages of COVID 19”

Assuming that you know Howard sufficiently well to be able to interpret the tone of his voice with such certainty, and that what you said is what he really thinks, then I am truly mortified. In my opinion, he has become unfit for office.

The job of being the CM is a privilege and an honour, which gives the leader considerable personal power, but also a job that demands a lot of the incumbent. In a democracy these leaders are rightly the target of personal and political criticism, questions about competency, etc., etc. Being at the top in a democracy is all about wielding power in a way that makes the best of the circumstances for the benefit of ordinary people, who bestowed that power on them. Being disappointed because one does not receive sufficient narcissistic praise is an utterly inappropriate response for a CM. If Howard does not understand these basic dynamics of a healthy democracy, then he should not have put himself forward for the job in the first place.

Religiously speaking, the ‘Meek’ may inherent the earth, but in the real world they hardly ever do. Being a ‘meek’ CM is not a useful personal quality, as it probably also means that the incumbent is inherently too weak to do the job properly. However, when democratically elected peoples’ representatives start imagining that their fellow citizens somehow owe them some sort of special ‘gratitude’ for doing their jobs (*) in a competent way, then they have become delusional megalomaniacs, and they should not be allowed anywhere near our democratic institutions.  All of this, is IMHO, of course.

(*) Churchill lost the 1945 GE even though he was widely revered as a WW2 hero.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

..... perhaps it could be a double variant abbreviated to TT.

Skelly will have it copyrighted and proceedings launched against infringements...

ETA. And Dr Glover will be employed to supply supporting evidence.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Haha 4

Looks like Majorca, Minorca or Ibiza for your imminent Green list Sunshine then.  Hopefully with more to follow.

Suprised there isn’t more pressure on them packing Wembley for the rest of Euros when you see how full the stadiums are in other countries.

10 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Looks like Majorca, Minorca or Ibiza for your imminent Green list Sunshine then.  Hopefully with more to follow.

Suprised there isn’t more pressure on them packing Wembley for the rest of Euros when you see how full the stadiums are in other countries.

They're going to 60000 at Wembley i think?

Get some directs holidays from here again.  :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

So they are.  I had missed that announcement.  Normality is coming, finally.

Does however mean 60,000 England fans will be sitting there watching a final England aren't in and wondering what could have been

35 minutes ago, trmpton said:

The problem is whether or not those green list places will allow us in. Merkel is currently trying to get all eu countries to red list uk. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, code99 said:

Assuming that you know Howard sufficiently well to be able to interpret the tone of his voice with such certainty, and that what you said is what he really thinks, then I am truly mortified. In my opinion, he has become unfit for office.

The job of being the CM is a privilege and an honour, which gives the leader considerable personal power, but also a job that demands a lot of the incumbent. In a democracy these leaders are rightly the target of personal and political criticism, questions about competency, etc., etc. Being at the top in a democracy is all about wielding power in a way that makes the best of the circumstances for the benefit of ordinary people, who bestowed that power on them. Being disappointed because one does not receive sufficient narcissistic praise is an utterly inappropriate response for a CM. If Howard does not understand these basic dynamics of a healthy democracy, then he should not have put himself forward for the job in the first place.

Religiously speaking, the ‘Meek’ may inherent the earth, but in the real world they hardly ever do. Being a ‘meek’ CM is not a useful personal quality, as it probably also means that the incumbent is inherently too weak to do the job properly. However, when democratically elected peoples’ representatives start imagining that their fellow citizens somehow owe them some sort of special ‘gratitude’ for doing their jobs (*) in a competent way, then they have become delusional megalomaniacs, and they should not be allowed anywhere near our democratic institutions.  All of this, is IMHO, of course.

(*) Churchill lost the 1945 GE even though he was widely revered as a WW2 hero.

Very salient points, but could I add that a Chief Minister should conduct himself with gravitas and decorum having no airs and graces. They should also dress normally ( not like Rupert Bear). Being able to speak helps as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I wish, but I doubt it. I’m sure Ashie, Hetty and the Clinicians would rather that we didn’t go away. 

Ive been to Majorca from the island, and the organisers do a good job, very well organised.

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

The Madeira direct were great. 
Did six although outward on three occasions had fuel stops at Liverpool, Belfast and Dublin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The problem is whether or not those green list places will allow us in. Merkel is currently trying to get all eu countries to red list uk. 

It’s all very well for Germany, which doesn’t rely heavily on tourism from GB, unlike Spain, Portugal, France.

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

Very salient points, but could I add that a Chief Minister should conduct himself with gravitas and decorum having no airs and graces. They should also dress normally ( not like Rupert Bear). Being able to speak helps as well. 

I take your point. But, when I said “personal criticism” what I meant was that people who hold public office must have character traits such as personal integrity, which stand up in the face of public scrutiny. Some people regard making churlish jibes about politicians’ physical appearances as being fair game, but I don’t agree with that. If BoJo moves to the Island and decides to become an MHK, I wouldn’t vote for him not because he often looks slovenly, but because, firstly, he is a Tory, and secondly, because I think he is a bombastic clown.

If politicians insist that what they do in their private lives is their business, then I’d say to them that if you want my taxes to contribute towards your salary and your expenses then your personal life is my business too. I realise that some people will have different opinions and I accept that.

• Like 1