Turning left off Glencrutchery Road into Ballaquayle Road!

Max Power

3 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Actually it’s been proven by many surveys such as this one. A considerable percentage of the public are fearful of using public transport after this crisis so bus use is likely to be even further down I’d say. 

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2020/06/public-transit-coronavirus-risk-london-tube-bus-commute/612988/

Sorry, you're comparing London public transport habits (where 90% plus of people commuting have to use it) to bus users on the Isle of Man?

I'd agree with the London situation.   Which has zero in common with the IOM.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Which has zero in common with the IOM.

Whatever ... it’s an actual real life survey of how real life commuters feel. The same is highly likely to apply for people in the IOM few of whom regularly use public transport anyway. 

Just now, Mr Newbie said:

Whatever ... it’s an actual real life survey of how real life commuters feel. The same is highly likely to apply for people in the IOM few of whom regularly use public transport anyway. 

Whatever - classic response.  Sigh.

It's a real life survey that relates in no way to the Isle of Man.  It might be easier for you just to admit that the changes made on the road actually make sense.  Rather than rant about the DOI.

Equally it might be easier if some posters accepted factual information as ... well factual information. People are naturally going to be wary about using public transport and several surveys conducted in the last few weeks support this view. There’s no harm in stating that. This still therefore seems a pretty daft thing to do which will likely increase traffic chaos. 

So along with this new lane, as mentioned by Kevster northbound traffic is being directed down the dip at Gov Bridge, and also in Onchan itself there has been a change. Where there was a right hand turn lane for traffic to go down Royal Ave, there isn't any more.

Surely, surely, a press release or something should have been issued informing people of these these changes? The Director of Public Highways Mr Jeff Robinson probably thinks it is beneath him to communicate with the public.

38 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Equally it might be easier if you both stopped bickering. 

I’m certainly not bickering. There just seems to be a complete unwillingness to look at the facts in this case. Lots of people are genuinely wary of using public transport post Covid and we need to get people back to work ASAP and shutting down the prom one way and putting this dogs breakfast of a lane in doesn’t seem to be the way to manage everything to get more people speedily into work. This is being treated with derision all over Twitter and Facebook as I think the public is simply incredulous that just as we are all going back to work this sort of complete nonsense is implemented to hold everything up. I would imagine most people will be driving In for a while yet due to concerns about mixing with people on public transport. 

17 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

I’m certainly not bickering. There just seems to be a complete unwillingness to look at the facts in this case. Lots of people are genuinely wary of using public transport post Covid and we need to get people back to work ASAP and shutting down the prom one way and putting this dogs breakfast of a lane in doesn’t seem to be the way to manage everything to get more people speedily into work. This is being treated with derision all over Twitter and Facebook as I think the public is simply incredulous that just as we are all going back to work this sort of complete nonsense is implemented to hold everything up. I would imagine most people will be driving In for a while yet due to concerns about mixing with people on public transport. 

Except of course your facts are not really relevant facts to the island are they? (As your link to an article about one of the busiest cities in the world that relies totally on public transport confirms).  Don't forget that bit.

37 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

So along with this new lane, as mentioned by Kevster northbound traffic is being directed down the dip at Gov Bridge, and also in Onchan itself there has been a change. Where there was a right hand turn lane for traffic to go down Royal Ave, there isn't any more.

Surely, surely, a press release or something should have been issued informing people of these these changes? The Director of Public Highways Mr Jeff Robinson probably thinks it is beneath him to communicate with the public.

I thought that the right turn lane had just been shortened, maybe to allow for more buses turning left at the top of Royal Ave.

The bus services were well used before the virus but there are not that many that service Glencrutchery Road .   It is important to have a reliable and frequent bus service not everyone has their own transport and as a frequent bus user I can say the busses especially the Ramsey one is usually packed.   People who do not use the bus do not know what they are talking about.   However this new idea is crackpot.

11 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think I may have discovered what is going on here.  I was about to point out that a particularly odd thing about this was that there are only at most two buses an hour to exclusively use this lane.  But things have changed because we have a new bus route in town.  This is the 30 which announces itself as "the quickest way to travel from Central and Queens Promenades to Lower Douglas and replaces the southbound services".  This is true if you exclude walking (even on the timetable shows an optimistic 20+ minutes).

It's a circular route going North along the Prom and then back along Glencrutchery Road and presumably to stop themselves looking silly[1] they are doing all they can to make them run faster.  And it raises the number of buses using the lane to a whole six an hour. Obviously there are lots of temporary things they could do to tackle this temporary problem, so they have decided to do something elaborate and ineffective instead.

[1]  They will fail.

So service 30 is only during the period it's one-way on the Prom? is the bus lane temporary too?

43 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:
What's the issue? It appears to be a perfectly thought out and executed change. The flashing bollards seem a bit over the the top though.

But you didn’t actually drive down the bit in question at the start of this thread. 

Archived