Turning left off Glencrutchery Road into Ballaquayle Road!

Max Power

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must have posted a version of this a dozen times on here. Another U.K. cut and paste infrastructure project, generic design, modelled on somewhere else. Backs well covered because 'it works there' and six figure salary thanks very much. Looking forward to nice big pension (thanks very much) and retiring back to the U.K.

Local knowledge and experience aren't allowed anywhere near the decision process.

Reset and repeat.

30 minutes ago, Declan said:

So service 30 is only during the period it's one-way on the Prom? is the bus lane temporary too?

Well it looks like the 30 is temporary, in so far as anything concerning the Prom is.  It doesn't say anything explicitly but a press release issued Friday[1] says it is "Due to the one way system on Douglas Promenade".  Though of course there have been mutterings that that could be made permanent.  I can't really see the purpose of the 30, though I sure that people living in central Onchan will be delighted with eight buses an hour into central Douglas rather than four.

I'm not sure if they have made the decision to allow people to pay by cash again.  They're still trying to push Go Cards , which is likely to deter casual users due to how few places you can top them up and not everyone has contactless or likes to use it.  Cash is still used by the sort of people who use buses[2], but bus operators seem to hate it. 

Though I always get the impression that Longworth doesn't really like those  untidy passengers cluttering up his nice new toys - he must have been in heaven over the last few months. So he'll not rushing to encourage them to come back.

Neither the new bus lane nor whatever is happening at Governors Bridge seem to appear on the list of current roadworks.  I wonder if they are using emergency legislation as an excuse for doing whatever they want and avoiding notification, consultation and so on.  But then even outside of emergency times, the DoI was never keen on following the law and just did whatever their fancy dictated and got their lapdog Minster to legalise it afterwards.

[1]  I note by the way that DoI now seem to have taken over the 'Old' Police Station in Lord Street (wasn't that supposed to be sold off?).  

[2]  it's rarely remarked on but the decline in bus passengers in London from 2014 coincided with TfL's stopping of cash payments.

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

[1]  I note by the way that DoI now seem to have taken over the 'Old' Police Station in Lord Street (wasn't that supposed to be sold off?).  

Police were using it over a year ago at least  I know it was for sale then taken off the market I think and then Police started using it again .

There have been a multitude of DOI f*** ups down the years but this little gem must top the lot.

The sad thing is, there's somebody in the civil service, actually several, who have sat around a table and thought this was a good idea before signing it off.

Imbeciles.

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

There have been a multitude of DOI f*** ups down the years but this little gem must top the lot.

The sad thing is, there's somebody in the civil service, actually several, who have sat around a table and thought this was a good idea before signing it off.

Imbeciles.

The CEO is incompetent and has been for years and never seems to get much negative feedback or any sanction, Nick Black is the one who should be getting stick for these endless Fu..ups as he signs them off!!!

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Imbeciles.

Why is it a fuck up? The aim is to allow redirected buses to keep closer to timetable. 

ps. I don’t work for government. 

17 minutes ago, Golfer said:

The CEO is incompetent and has been for years and never seems to get much negative feedback or any sanction, Nick Black is the one who should be getting stick for these endless Fu..ups as he signs them off!!!

Jeff Robinson, Director of Highways. Blame him.

If this is a good thing or bad who knows but the lack of notice about the two changes is just incompetent . And Baker says we of course could always comunicate better ..What !!! there was zero as far as I can see. This department is beyond help. We all know what would happen if this was the private sector. All management would be out the door before they knew what was happening. They just dont care clearly !! 

14 minutes ago, kevster said:

The aim is to allow redirected buses to keep closer to timetable. 

It will get them to the queue at York Road and Prospect Terrace lights about 30 seconds quicker I suppose.

But more importantly it will add another sticker to the sticker album of Highway furniture and signage that they seem to want to fill. Taken them a while to get the bus lane sticker.

Archived