Turning left off Glencrutchery Road into Ballaquayle Road!

Max Power

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just moronic. Not being funny but that lay by is bloody massive couldn’t they have taken a few feet off that rather than take half the road away, or is that still needed so that people can’t sell their second hand cars on the worlds widest pavement? It’s soooo stupid it actually defies description. Surely big parts of the lay by should be the cycle lane? DOI are just retards.

I’ve just posted this in another thread so I shall repost here :

Looking at it I’d say it’s been thought with buses in mind as the majority of them turn left towards town and a cycle lane was simply a token gesture. Buses have always struggled getting passed other HGVs waiting to go down Bray Hill/Turning right, quite often scrubbing the kerb and still very nearly clashing mirrors, I doubt buses alone would have been a good enough reason to go meddling.

Ironically because they’ve now narrowed one lane to widen the other it’s just moved the problem, now HGVs turning left from Ballanard Rd heading towards the grandstand have a nice little challenge instead, hopefully they’ve trimmed the trees and hedges along the cemetery wall to at least remove part of the problem.

For the first new week this will cause chaos and I expect many people will ignore it, but eventually people will adapt and overcome.

It's not a 'Lay By', it's a Bus Lane from the Grandstand to St Ninians corner, with about 30 meters of filter for those wishing to go down Ballanard, when, of course, they can get into the left hand lane to do so!!!

Cluster, dept, fuck, infrastrucure........ re arrange to suit!

Wonder has anyone from DOI produced  a survey to justify this ? How many cycles go down that road daily !!?? Maybe a few start of day and a few end of working day but rest of the time ? Imbeciles , good old DOI never lets us down . 

It's Harmers last act as a massive fuck you for not supporting him well enough and laughing at him while at the DoI. Goodness knows what he's going to do in P&R, but you'd all better behave yourselves. Take this as a warning.

You can't incorporate a cycle lane unless the whole layout has been designed from scratch to do so. It isn't. It's the original road and width that was already struggling to accommodate three traffic  lanes.

It's yet another DOI fashion fetish, sticking plaster bodge to accommodate a handful of apparently non-existent commuter cyclists. Where are they all on the Peel Road cycle lane? Or Lezayre Rd Ramsey?

When are DOI going to realise that a) there's no realistic demand and b) that even if that demand does arise, the job and layout needs to be done properly?

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

When are DOI going to realise that a) there's no realistic demand and b) that even if that demand does arise, the job and layout needs to be done properly?

Never. They are so thoroughly incompetent I doubt any of them even live in the real world anymore. You get the impression that someone must turn up completely off their head. Drink a bottle of neat scotch and whatever garbage comes out of their brain in such an addled state is what they get to implement. It can’t work any other way. 

Is it a permanent bus lane? With the prom being one way the buses from Onchan that normally go down Royal Avenue will be going along there, so more bus traffic than normal.

Sorry if that sounds like a sensible reason for it..

Archived