Turning left off Glencrutchery Road into Ballaquayle Road!

Max Power

Just sayin', this really doesn't help cyclists. Heading south I've never had an issue so nothing gained. But heading north (as I did last night) means I had to be overtaken on a road that used to be plenty wide, but now is a fairly narrow bi-directional road.  So either a risk to me or a holdup for cars - probably the latter.

It's purely a bus lane. 

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

So who is Jeffrey Robinson ? Is he another U.K. career civil servant, with impressive portfolio, brought over to civilise the natives and bring them up to date with state of the art infrastructure projects and current professional standards ? What are we paying him ? Is it enough ? 

Please don't tell me he's Manx... 

He's the man who killed Rally Isle of Man too, he has some big achievements, maybe we should erect a statue of him?

3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

So who is Jeffrey Robinson ? Is he another U.K. career civil servant, with impressive portfolio, brought over to civilise the natives and bring them up to date with state of the art infrastructure projects and current professional standards ? What are we paying him ? Is it enough ? 

Please don't tell me he's Manx... 

Not only is he Manx (or at least his apprenticeship was here) he's not a career civil servant either.  Before he arrived at a senior level he was in the private sector including a decade with Corus and then with the company running the incinerator.

This may be part of the problem - Longworth has a similar career path.  Such people, coming from a background driven by government contracts, may see keeping those contracts flowing as the main aim of their job (justified as being good for the economy).  The government spending ever larger amounts of money on projects is seen as a good thing in itself.

3 hours ago, Golfer said:

Baker was on radio this morning basically saying public will get used to new layout, its progress giving priority to buses and cyclists and we want more cars off the road so move on!!

Do they realize, you wonder, that If a lot of cars did come off the road how much they’d be losing in VAT from lost new car sales if people decide car ownership or renewing their car is a waste of time because of these pricks? It seems to be that there is an idiot agenda here driven by a load of MAMILs to bring the IOM back to Victorian times by all means possible. I’d rather leave the IOM than live in cycle-wanker land where the slowest way of getting from A to B becomes the norm. It’s throughly delusional both financially and practically. The next person going out and buying that whacking great big £50K SUV generates a shed load of VAT for these idiots to spend actively stopping motorists from getting about. It’s doomed logic. 

I presume the genius idea of two lanes going south at Governors Bridge has been temporarily abandoned as the lane for Glencrutchery Road was all coned off this morning.

You have to wonder how they arrive at these half wit plans, is it just a game to see who can get away with the most ridiculous?

I cycle down there a lot. Never had an issue. It’s not a road that needs or even benefits from a cycle lane.

Also, top tip for cyclists who want to avoid traffic on that road: go down the police station road, through the car park behind the grandstand, and through nobles park. If we need a cycle lane for commuters getting into town, that’s where it should go.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sausages said:

I cycle down there a lot. Never had an issue. It’s not a road that needs or even benefits from a cycle lane.

Also, top tip for cyclists who want to avoid traffic on that road: go down the police station road, through the car park behind the grandstand, and through nobles park. If we need a cycle lane for commuters getting into town, that’s where it should go.

London at one time introduced something called quietways - though they're now being rebranded as ordinary cycleways -  for  "less confident cyclists who want to use routes with less traffic, whilst also providing for existing cyclists who want to travel at a more gentle pace".  But the format is really ideal for the vast majority of cyclists who just want to get from A to B without having to pretend they're in the Tour de France. 

All it needs is a lot of thought and some good signage, but neither of these are DoI specialities.   And it doesn't proclaim "Look at us!" which seems to be the motivation for most of these allegedly cycle-friendly exercises

Archived