6 weeks in jail, mental

Mr Newbie

51 minutes ago, John Wright said:

@The Dog's Dangly Bits

The FOI reply and what Del says aren’t mutually exclusive. The FOI was to mid May. It’s perfectly possible there has been another breach since.

I'm not sure about that timing.  The actual response was:

9 June 2020

Dear ###

We write further to your request which was received on 5 June 2020 and which states:

"How many police officers have been (A) warned and (B) disciplined for breaches of the Emergency Powers Act since a state of Emergency was first declared on the Isle of Man.

What was the outcome of these incidents."

Our response to your request is as follows: I have detailed below the information that is being released to you.

In answer to (A) 3 and in answer to (B) 0.

The 3 officers identified were assessed and dealt with in line with the Police (Conduct) Regulations 2015, given the nature of the incidents they were dealt with in line with the other 450 members of the public who were warned i.e. the 4 ‘E’s approach, they were engaged and educated, this was recorded as per all other breaches at this level.

Please quote the reference number 1321209 in any future communications.

So presumably it was till (at least) 5 June. 

It might imply that there weren't any fines, presuming that their reply includes the answer to "What was the outcome of these incidents" rather than it being conveniently ignored (as is not unknown for FoI requests).

Of course you would expect that serving police officers would already have been "engaged and educated" before they committed their breaches, what with them having to enforce it on the rest of us, but apparently they still deserved the same free ride as everyone else.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

Here we go again. So when several coppers were issued fines for being out and about we jail a man for 6 weeks for selling stuff out of his garage who didn’t actually leave his own home. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-53100693

The Isle of Man .. Where you can .. (do fuck all without being arrested) 

You're an idiot...

38 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Plenty of people were selling items during the period of lockdown, I thought providing social distancing was adhered to it was acceptable? How’s buying a second hand item any different than using a shopping trolley that other people have handled? 

6 weeks prison is madness, he’s at a higher risk of possibly infecting people by being moved between police/court/prison than staying in his own home.

get an adult to read the full story to you. You may just understand...

53 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Plenty of people were selling items during the period of lockdown, I thought providing social distancing was adhered to it was acceptable? How’s buying a second hand item any different than using a shopping trolley that other people have handled? 

6 weeks prison is madness, he’s at a higher risk of possibly infecting people by being moved between police/court/prison than staying in his own home.

It’s not actually clear what rule he broke. He didn’t leave his house. It seem’s people were picking stuff up from his garage and he stayed distant from them while organizing the sale / pick up. So he was self isolating.at home as directed. This is another one I’d love to see if it gets legally challenged. I’d certainly be taking advice when I got out about the validity of the sentencing in this instance. As you say he was probably a bigger Covid risk to people being shunted around the police and courts system and in Jurby than he was to anyone taking stuff out of his garage. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

It’s not actually clear what rule he broke. He didn’t leave his house. It seem’s people were picking stuff up from his garage and he stayed distant from them while organizing the sale / pick up. So he was self isolating.at home as directed. This is another one I’d love to see if it gets legally challenged. I’d certainly be taking advice when I got out about the validity of the sentencing in this instance. As you say he was probably a bigger Covid risk to people being shunted around the police and courts system and in Jurby than he was to anyone taking stuff out of his garage. 

I can only assume there is more to the story than what’s been initially reported. Unless he was specifically told he cannot sell or remove items from his home I cannot possibly see how this has stood up?

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

I can only assume there is more to the story than what’s been initially reported. Unless he was specifically told he cannot sell or remove items from his home I cannot possibly see how this has stood up?

As I said if it was me I’d be paying for legal advice to have it challenged. 

30 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

get an adult to read the full story to you. You may just understand...

Man is told to not leave his home for 14 days. He needs to clear his home of possessions in order to move in the near future, he uses his time at home to advertise the goods online, ensuring their is a safe method of collection, complies with social distancing measures (refusing to shake hands) and I assume cleans items before collection.

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Man is told to not leave his home for 14 days. He needs to clear his home of possessions in order to move in the near future, he uses his time at home to advertise the goods online, ensuring their is a safe method of collection, complies with social distancing measures (refusing to shake hands) and I assume cleans items before collection.

Exactly even if he pleaded guilty it’s been proven the IOM is a kangaroo court currently under emergency powers. They don’t seem to need any excuse to fuck people over for minor infractions so he was probably told it’s futile to argue. But you’d certainly get it legally challenged when emergency laws end. Came to the IOM for a few weeks to sell up his house. Left with a criminal conviction and a permanent record of a custodial sentence which will be with him for life. 

3 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

As I have said previously you seem to be some sort of expert on idiocy yourself. 

you don't have to be an expert where your concerned...

3 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

Exactly even if he pleaded guilty it’s been proven the IOM is a kangaroo court currently under emergency powers. They don’t seem to need any excuse to fuck people over for minor infractions so he was probably told it’s futile to argue. But you’d certainly get it legally challenged when emergency laws end. Came to the IOM for a few weeks to sell up his house. Left with a criminal conviction and a permanent record of a custodial sentence which will be with him for life. 

Some people aren't as gullible as you and would look into the alternatives. For him, there were none

Archived