6 weeks in jail, mental

Mr Newbie

I think Roger is spot on with the observation we do not live cheek to  jowel with our neighbours most of us have our own front doors and of course a smaller population.   The borders are the thing that has been our saviour.   Spain has opened  for business today because they are potless but it is a gamble I hope for everyone’s sake it works out.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Not sure that's true. There is a possibility that somebody may have it and putting it down to cold/flu rather than calling 111 and go into 14 day quarantine

This is going to be one of the major community challenges of the future - some people won't want to get tested, because it means they get put under "house arrest" for 2 weeks if they are found to have the disease. Thus, some people who get the disease (even mildly) will not want to do the test, especially since so many people have lost work as it is. Since the primary beneficiary of the home quarantine is the rest of the community, it seems reasonable to me that the rest of the community should offer support to such people.

2 hours ago, Josem said:

This is going to be one of the major community challenges of the future - some people won't want to get tested, because it means they get put under "house arrest" for 2 weeks if they are found to have the disease. Thus, some people who get the disease (even mildly) will not want to do the test, especially since so many people have lost work as it is.

,  if i get a symptom i will self diagnose just a cold.

2 hours ago, Josem said:

This is going to be one of the major community challenges of the future - some people won't want to get tested, because it means they get put under "house arrest" for 2 weeks if they are found to have the disease. Thus, some people who get the disease (even mildly) will not want to do the test, especially since so many people have lost work as it is. Since the primary beneficiary of the home quarantine is the rest of the community, it seems reasonable to me that the rest of the community should offer support to such people.

That is so true and very sad. Ignorance is bliss to some people.

2 hours ago, Josem said:

Since the primary beneficiary of the home quarantine is the rest of the community, it seems reasonable to me that the rest of the community should offer support to such people.

That’s the taxpayer isn’t it? They should be supporting other taxpayers who have been barred from working for the alleged protection of society. And yet so many people seem to have been thrown under a bus. 

14 hours ago, WTF said:

,  if i get a symptom i will self diagnose just a cold.

...and many who get a cold will self-diagnose Covid. Depending on their levels of sick pay. This is something that needs to be addressed, from both perspectives. 

52 minutes ago, wrighty said:

...and many who get a cold will self-diagnose Covid. Depending on their levels of sick pay. This is something that needs to be addressed, from both perspectives. 

As far as I k now COVID is a notifiable disease, so anyone refusing a test and presenting the symptoms would have to be removed from their residence and quarantined. Is that right?

15 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

That’s the taxpayer isn’t it? They should be supporting other taxpayers who have been barred from working for the alleged protection of society. And yet so many people seem to have been thrown under a bus. 

Yep, I entirely agree.

32 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

As far as I k now COVID is a notifiable disease, so anyone refusing a test and presenting the symptoms would have to be removed from their residence and quarantined. Is that right?

Don’t know, but that wasn’t the point I was trying to make. I was suggesting that there will be some who sneeze once and call in sick because it might be covid, and even with testing will be off on full pay for a while. 

17 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Don’t know, but that wasn’t the point I was trying to make. I was suggesting that there will be some who sneeze once and call in sick because it might be covid, and even with testing will be off on full pay for a while. 

I've no doubt that some people may wish to take the piss a bit, but it can't be many. One of the things lockdown has shown is how keen the vast majority are to work.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

even if it is you have be tested to find out if you have it,  if you never get tested then you have never been diagnosed with it so need to tell anyone.

1 minute ago, WTF said:

even if it is you have be tested to find out if you have it,  if you never get tested then you have never been diagnosed with it so need to tell anyone.

Until someone you live with or have met contracts it and it's traced back to you.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

COVID-19 was made a notifiable disease in the UK in March.  Typically the Manx Government website tell you there are 33 notifiable diseases, but doesn't tell you what they all are.  There are 33 in the UK list though, so hopefully they will be the same.  (They can tell you what they are for farm animals and fish though - so you can see where the priorities are).

But as WTF has just pointed out  [deletes paragraph] you are only obliged to notify if you know you have it and the only way is to be tested.  And as the government haven't really been enthusiastic about this for some time, anyone wanting to avoid this can do so easily.

Archived