6 weeks in jail, mental

Mr Newbie

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To travel to the Island at the moment do you have to sign some kind of contract guaranteeing that you will self isolate for 14 days? A legally enforceable restriction rather than voluntary? 

The virus is going to arrive back on the island at some point, and it is going to spread when someone is too arrogant to believe the rules apply to them. I don't normally agree with the idea of 'deterrent sentencing', but maybe this case can be seen as a good thing?

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

This happened on 18 June, after the BLM march and when social distancing ended, did it not? 

It looks like it. It says he only got back on the 10th. Amazing some absolute pathetic snitch shopped him in the first place. But to then give him 6 weeks in prison instead of a fine just reinforces that we live in a police state where they get to do what they want and we get the most draconian sentencing outside of Russia.

There is no way I’m clapping these wankers on Tynwald Day. The way a lot of government has acted under emergency powers is a disgrace. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

It looks like it. It says he only got back on the 10th. Amazing some absolute pathetic snitch shopped him in the first place. But to then give him 6 weeks in prison instead of a fine just reinforces that we live in a police state where they get to do what they want and we get the most draconian sentencing outside of Russia.

There is no way I’m clapping these wankers on Tynwald Day. The way a lot of government has acted under emergency powers is a disgrace. 

To be fair he's an idiot and should be jailed just for his safety after that stupidity.

Imagine not shaking someone's hand.  Clown.

This is exactly the sort of idiocy that justifies what many think was the over the top camp Comis set up. Whereas most people can be trusted, it would only take one like this to spread the virus to a handful of people (who all think it’s perfectly safe and don’t practice their own social distancing) and we’re back to where we were in late March. 

I think the sentence is spot on. 

1 hour ago, Mr Newbie said:

Here we go again. So when several coppers were issued fines for being out and about we jail a man for 6 weeks for selling stuff out of his garage who didn’t actually leave his own home. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-53100693

The Isle of Man .. Where you can .. (do fuck all without being arrested) 

Do we actually know the police were fined for being ‘out and about’? I’ve seen nothing in any media to say what their actual ‘offences’ were. Actually, I’ve only seen the one newspaper report, and zero reports anyplace else. Good thing the media is hand in hand with the government, to sweep such things under the carpet. 
yes, this particular individual should have been self isolating, and the sentence (as others have said) is probably correct as a deterrent more than anything- but at least he wasn’t also enforcing the same laws on others at the same time!

52 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Good point. He's self isolating now. 

I've changed my mind! (Which you are allowed to do when in possession if more info!!)

measure twice, cut once?

39 minutes ago, manxst said:

Do we actually know the police were fined for being ‘out and about’? I’ve seen nothing in any media to say what their actual ‘offences’ were. Actually, I’ve only seen the one newspaper report, and zero reports anyplace else. Good thing the media is hand in hand with the government, to sweep such things under the carpet. 
yes, this particular individual should have been self isolating, and the sentence (as others have said) is probably correct as a deterrent more than anything- but at least he wasn’t also enforcing the same laws on others at the same time!

What's been swept under the carpet and why wouldn't the newspapers report it?

There is nothing about the 3 policemen/women being fined because they probably weren't.   They were no doubt spoken to like every single other person caught the first time.

4 minutes ago, Holte End said:

What are the guidelines for contact tracing by the DHSC or do they make them up, as they  go along.

I thought only if he showed symptoms would contact tracing be needed.

Or is it a bit of over kill for the sentencing.

Why would they be made up?

This is fairly basic stuff.  They are going to ask the bloke who he came into contact with for any sustained period of time.

The answer was probably hardly anyone.

He had signed a form declaring he would self isolate, he didn’t, instead he sold numerous items to the unsuspecting public deliberately breaking the assurance he made.   He is a dickhead, deserved to be sentenced to six weeks in prison and the only bright bit in the affair is he is planning to move across, they are welcome.  I do hope none of the people who his crap are ok and well done to the buyer who reported him.  Scum pure scum.

Maybe ask the people who met him to buy stuff, who presumably will now have to self isolate for 14 days and there wider family members who’ll in turn will be affected i know I wouldn’t be happy, it may seem a harsh sentence but it is the right one to stop other idiots doing the same he got what he deserved.

Archived