Nunnery incident

Townend

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

At the moment, Gladys, despite a month without a Covid case and barring a 999 emergency, it is virtually impossible to get any healthcare assistance whatsoever in the Isle of Man. Everything has been sacrificed on the altar of this infection. I know a lot of people. It's the same story for cancer, cardiac, physio, orthopaedics, dentistry, you name it. Letters were sent out months ago cancelling appointments, and advising that anyone who has issues or concerns should contact their GP. GP's reaction on being told this: "Really?", and they have no clue, can give no information on when this state of affairs is going to change. It is ludicrous.

This is absolutely correct, everyone seems to have gone to ground in healthcare. There will be a number of excess deaths I'm sure where diagnosis have been not made in time. The hospital still seems to be in lockdown, I went for a blood test the other day and was greeted by two 'security guards' from the railway, sitting chatting at the entrance. The tests are done in the foyer and other than that, all I saw coming and going were staff happily wandering about, no sign of any patients going to appointments or anything.   

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Max Power said:

This is absolutely correct, everyone seems to have gone to ground in healthcare. There will be a number of excess deaths I'm sure where diagnosis have been not made in time. The hospital still seems to be in lockdown, I went for a blood test the other day and was greeted by two 'security guards' from the railway, sitting chatting at the entrance. The tests are done in the foyer and other than that, all I saw coming and going were staff happily wandering about, no sign of any patients going to appointments or anything.   

My experience too when I went to meet somebody. Like the Marie Celeste.

11 minutes ago, woolley said:

Good. Has that been widely publicised? Perhaps it is time we had a statement from the government on the state of play with all services.

Don't think so. I didn't know it was back, just got a letter Wednesday and then a phone call Friday checking i had got the letter, confirming I wished to attend and asking me if I had had any covid symptoms.

Try going to a doctor, my mum aged 89 needs to be seen but all you can get is maybe a telephone call in a week as we can’t see anyone !!

friend needing urgent filling , managed to get appointment privately but cost was extra £30 for ppe required as per government guidelines then no further appointment allowed for minimum 30 minutes with Windows open

1 hour ago, woolley said:

At the moment, Gladys, despite a month without a Covid case and barring a 999 emergency, it is virtually impossible to get any healthcare assistance whatsoever in the Isle of Man. Everything has been sacrificed on the altar of this infection. I know a lot of people. It's the same story for cancer, cardiac, physio, orthopaedics, dentistry, you name it. Letters were sent out months ago cancelling appointments, and advising that anyone who has issues or concerns should contact their GP. GP's reaction on being told this: "Really?", and they have no clue, can give no information on when this state of affairs is going to change. It is ludicrous.

My six monthly consultant appointment was conducted over the phone last week. My wife's doc's appointment next week is going ahead.

My 3 month injection at GP's was as appointment and blood tests at Nobles no issue either . But as said above loads of staff milling around or sitting chatting in general areas but seemingly not much else happening . Still hard to get car park though and of course blood clinic always busy 

25 minutes ago, roscosuk said:

How quickly a subject veers of track 

Yes sorry ! Mean that for my input . Although the mental health comments will I feel likely be relevant to this post . Hence the lock down on news etc.. if so , so sad !!! 

16 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes, that's a common thing when people don't have anything further to add.

Back on track, I believe a young person hanged himself at the Nunnery. Very sad indeed.

That’s what I heard too. So sad that it was actually true. 

Mental health services are under stress, and just like in the UK it is failing to spool up for the pandemic of mental health that has been developing for years. But more than this, one of the missing provisions is a properly resourced social care service. From my policing days,  when people came to our notice and were detained for assessment, they were often just released back into the community with varying degrees of follow up referral. In other words, they weren’t mentally ill. What they did need was a level of support to help them cope better with life. Because that wasn’t there they would ping pong between ourselves and MH. An eventual outcome would be either criminal charges or admission for treatment. That is just wrong.

Life can be tough to deal with, and we aren’t all resiliently equipped. For some it really isn’t a case of manning up. They genuinely do need help in navigating their existence. We need to accept this costs money in the long term, but it is still cheaper than the other two outcomes. It is also the right thing to do. 

Archived