Nunnery incident

Townend

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went past yesterday on the way to Port Soderick and there was just an ambulance in attendance.  Coming back, I was directed to go to the B&Q roundabout which was also closed to town-bound traffic on the Old Castletown Road, so it looked like the whole of the OCR was closed.  Can only assume it was a serious incident down by the river.  

43 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Manx Radio reported that they had not got any information regarding this .....:whatever:

It’s the weekend. You won’t find out until after 9:15 on Monday when the journalists have had their tea. I heard someone had tried to top themselves. But that was third hand. 

1 minute ago, Mr Newbie said:

It’s the weekend. You won’t find out until after 9:15 on Monday when the journalists have had their tea. I heard someone had tried to top themselves. But that was third hand. 

That is terribly sad.  When I lived in London, any delays to trains or the tube due to "an incident " was a euphemism for someone jumping onto the tracks.

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That is terribly sad.  When I lived in London, any delays to trains or the tube due to "an incident " was a euphemism for someone jumping onto the tracks.

I’m not going to add substance to it by replying as if it was true as it was a third hand comment. But there is a real mental health crisis coming out of this crazy lockdown situation. 

I think you are right Mr N.  Getting mental health help here is very difficult, private or not.  Someone I know really needed help after an attempted suicide, after he said he wouldn't do it again, the mental health service discharged him, that was within days of the attempt!  Trying to get hold of a private councillor was impossible, messages not returned, etc. 

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

I think you are right Mr N.  Getting mental health help here is very difficult, private or not.  Someone I know really needed help after an attempted suicide, after he said he wouldn't do it again, the mental health service discharged him, that was within days of the attempt!  Trying to get hold of a private councillor was impossible, messages not returned, etc. 

I have first hand experience of Mental health service here including Crisis team . They in the main are not fit for purpose and there mandate seems to be dish out meds and  sign someone off as quick as possible. God help anyone who isn't strong in themselves as its not going to end well. I said at the start of all this that mental health is going to be a major factor and some thought I was being over the top. I wasnt as just watch in the next few months . I fear for anyone needing help and input as your not going to get it with any commitment . 

1 hour ago, Mr Newbie said:

I’m not going to add substance to it by replying as if it was true as it was a third hand comment. But there is a real mental health crisis coming out of this crazy lockdown situation. 

And yet there you go implicitly speculating about the reasons for this incident.

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

At the moment, Gladys, despite a month without a Covid case and barring a 999 emergency, it is virtually impossible to get any healthcare assistance whatsoever in the Isle of Man. Everything has been sacrificed on the altar of this infection. I know a lot of people. It's the same story for cancer, cardiac, physio, orthopaedics, dentistry, you name it. Letters were sent out months ago cancelling appointments, and advising that anyone who has issues or concerns should contact their GP. GP's reaction on being told this: "Really?", and they have no clue, can give no information on when this state of affairs is going to change. It is ludicrous.

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

At the moment, Gladys, despite a month without a Covid case and barring a 999 emergency, it is virtually impossible to get any healthcare assistance whatsoever in the Isle of Man. Everything has been sacrificed on the altar of this infection. I know a lot of people. It's the same story for cancer, cardiac, physio, orthopaedics, dentistry, you name it. Letters were sent out months ago cancelling appointments, and advising that anyone who has issues or concerns should contact their GP. GP's reaction on being told this: "Really?", and they have no clue, can give no information on when this state of affairs is going to change. It is ludicrous.

Physio is open again, running at the old hospital site. I have an appointment there this week.

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Physio is open again, running at the old hospital site. I have an appointment there this week.

Good. Has that been widely publicised? Perhaps it is time we had a statement from the government on the state of play with all services.

Archived