MLC Joins Government

Donald Trumps

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She was already taking the government shilling as a Departmental Member of DESC which she will continue to be as far as I can tell from the MR piece).  So she would still continue to get her 30% upgrade whatever.  This will make no difference except far as I can tell, except to give the DoI another guaranteed vote when trying to put through their loonier schemes ie most of them.

One thing that they have still got to sort out is who is to be Chair of the MUA, technically it's still Baker.  I suppose there's nothing legally to prevent him continuing, but usually it's a non-Minister and you can see there being conflict in role with the DoI.  Even odder, according to the Tynwald website, they still have Thomas as Chair of the Public Services Commission (which gives a 40% upgrade to a non-Minister) though since 2015 this would normally have been combined with the Policy and Resources Minister.  Maybe they've forgotten to do the paperwork to sack him.

It's not on.  And entirely symptomatic of too many things that are wrong with our "democracy".

As has been said, we need MORE politicians holding the likes of the DOI over a barrel; not climbing into their festering bed of unaccountability with them.

27 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Is she married to my ex GP ? I only remember her as Marlene Hendy.

We've said it many times: No unelected member should be in cabinet government. Politics 101.

Only in a department SMUJ - message still stands tho'

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's not on.  And entirely symptomatic of too many things that are wrong with our "democracy".

As has been said, we need MORE politicians holding the likes of the DOI over a barrel; not climbing into their festering bed of unaccountability with them.

It is an immensely disappointing move for Marlene to make - IOM politics really needs her expertise to hold DOI properly to account

11 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Is she married to my ex GP ? I only remember her as Marlene Hendy.

We've said it many times: No unelected member should be in cabinet government. Politics 101.

According to the Tynwald websiteMrs Maska changed her surname from Hendy on the occasion of her marriage in 2018.  

Actually Politics 101 would tell you that in many, maybe most, countries there are loads of unelected members in the cabinet.  Indeed in many you can't be an elected parliamentarian and be in the cabinet.  Wiki has a useful overview:

In presidential systems such as the United States, members of the Cabinet are chosen by the president, and may also have to be confirmed by one or both of the houses of the legislature. In most presidential systems, cabinet members cannot be sitting legislators, and legislators who are offered appointments must resign if they wish to accept.

In parliamentary systems, several different policies exist with regard to whether legislators can also be Cabinet ministers: cabinet members must, must not, or may be members of parliament, depending on the country. In the United Kingdom, cabinet ministers are mandatorily appointed from among sitting members of the parliament. In countries with a strict separation between the executive and legislative branches of government, e.g. Luxembourg, Switzerland and Belgium, cabinet members have to give up their seat in parliament. The intermediate case is when ministers typically are members of parliament, but are not required to be, as in Finland.

Even in the UK, the Prime Minister can effectively appoint anyone they want to Cabinet and validate it by making them a member of the House of Lords.  So they certainly don't have to be elected.  In fact in the UK there was a rule (up to 1926) that any MP who was made a Cabinet Minister had to submit himself to a parliamentary by-election to make sure that his constituents were happy with him doing so, 

This is a classic example of where people fervently demand that what we do in this particular country at this particular moment of time is the only way in which things can possibly be done and any alternative is is deeply evil and undemocratic.  Right up until it becomes convenient to change things and then the 'new normal' is championed with equal fervour and a complete forgetting of the immediate past.  So everyone says that the Chief Minister has to be an MHK - until Corkill has to go and Gelling, an MLC, takes over.  Or Bell claims that Minister must be MHKs - until it suits him to appoint Crookall.

What is actually important in a democracy is not who the Cabinet are, but the control that the elected legislature has over them, to hold them to account.  So the rule in the Isle of Man that Ministers have to be MHKs actually works against democracy because it means that a substantial proportion of the House of Keys has to back whatever nonsense the Cabinet puts forward.  We really need a different system or more elected members to balance that.

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

What is actually important in a democracy is not who the Cabinet are, but the control that the elected legislature has over them, to hold them to account.  So the rule in the Isle of Man that Ministers have to be MHKs actually works against democracy because it means that a substantial proportion of the House of Keys has to back whatever nonsense the Cabinet puts forward.  We really need a different system or more elected members to balance that.

This is a serious bugbear of our political system. It is so obvious and transparent that we have been sold the whole ministerial system to quash the democratic process. 

Genuine debate in Tynwald has been all but extinguished as COMIN has taken control of our 'democratic' process! Lisvane's review was made to look unworkable because it didn't suit certain people! 

16 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Roger: When was the last unelected Minister to sit in a U.K. cabinet government ? 

Nicky Morgan, February this year https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn05226/

The ministerial system was all about giving people titles, supposedly so they would command more respect abroad. It's unlikely ever to have worked, unless they remained silent. The board system had less silo thinking, because the chair of one board would be a member of others and could have a broader view. The current system succeeds only in terms of self-aggrandisement . It also encourages nodding dogs. There is no political direction, just self interest, vaguely right wing sentiment, and drift.

I been critical of the ministerial system for years (check on my posts) it was designed to be corruptible and proved so many times - the board system had some defects but allowed a wider base from which to draw on expertise and also to avoid many of the costly mistakes made in the last couple of decades whilst the VAT fiddles were around. The CS needs a significant clear out - DOI in particular but health + social services as well.

Career: Chartered Architect in private practice; Building Conservation Officer, Isle of Man Government; Housing and Property Manager, Ramsey Town Commissioners.

Full title: Mrs Marlene Maska BA (Hons) Arch (L'pool), B ARCH (Hons) (L'Pool) P.G. Dip Cons.Sci MLC (nee Hendy)

Archived