IOM newspapers and virtue signing

Mr Newbie

I’ve studied Manx history and especially our Manx shipping history. So I wonder why this is appearing exactly now?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=56580

The Editor of the local papers seems to be hopelessly virtue signing for clicks. Has he not read Matthew Kneales English Passengers which must be 20 years old by now? Historically a lot of Manx history and Manx family wealth is bootlegging. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manxnotebook has a long list of Manx slave captains...has had for years.

And dog farmers, raising dogs for their bones to make paint.

In 100 years time, on a grossly overpopulated planet, people will probably be asking why people with an IQ of less than 100 were allowed to have kids back in 'these days'. That's the direction the thought police are taking humanity.

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Manxnotebook has a long list of Manx slave captains...has had for years.

It’s all been well documented but why run a story now? I know our history, some of it is inglorious but there you go. Why do it now just after the BLM March? 

1 minute ago, Mr Newbie said:

It’s all been well documented but why run a story now? I know our history, some of it is inglorious but there you go. Why do it now just after the BLM March? 

Because it sells newspapers.

While investigative journalism into government would sell newspapers but cull most of their income.

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Because it sells newspapers.

While investigative journalism into government would sell newspapers but cull most of their income.

I’ve always thought the papers here are poor. But that’s poorer than poor. I knew that information 20:years ago. I’m aware of Manx history. Strange to see that in the paper this week just after the BLM controversy. 

24 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

And dog farmers, raising dogs for their bones to make paint.

The 'Dog mills' got its name because they used to farm dog's there and ship their bones to Jamaica for the whitening of sugar.

10 minutes ago, Declan said:

That's a novel about taking English Settlers to Tasmania.

There was a heavy subtext to slavery in the book. The IOM was heavily involved with the slave trade. I’m just wondering why the papers see fit to publish that 3 weeks after the BLM March? Is the Editor worried about being given the full “Stu Peters?” 

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

The 'Dog mills' got its name because they used to farm dog's there and ship their bones to Jamaica for the whitening of sugar.

Hence the Manx phrase 'boat cancelled because of ruff seas'.

Wow. You learn something new every day on MF.

5 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

There was a heavy subtext to slavery in the book. The IOM was heavily involved with the slave trade. I’m just wondering why the papers see fit to publish that 3 weeks after the BLM March? Is the Editor worried about being given the full “Stu Peters?” 

There's a subtext of colonialism, it set after the slave trade had ended in the empire.

I guess the story was published because slavery links are topical at the moment and Manx people like reading about Manx history. I'm baffled that is seen as virtue signalling and not just an attempt to publish something people will read.

Archived