IOM newspapers and virtue signing

Mr Newbie

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Declan said:

I guess the story was published because slavery links are topical at the moment and Manx people like reading about Manx history. I'm baffled that is seen as virtue signalling and not just an attempt to publish something people will read.

Ok right. So a couple of weeks after the BLM march and the Stu Peters incident you don’t think it’s odd that our newspaper totally milks it by writing a piece on our slavery connections. That’s fine. Thanks for your feedback. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Ok right. So a couple of weeks after the BLM march and the Stu Peters incident you don’t think it’s odd that our newspaper totally milks it by writing a piece on our slavery connections. That’s fine. Thanks for your feedback. 

I don't think its odd. I think it natural that they'd commission a story like that now, and a positive thing.

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I did...came up with Charlotte Church.

You've obviously not seen her Late Night Pop Dungeon show.

22 minutes ago, Declan said:

I guess the story was published because slavery links are topical at the moment and Manx people like reading about Manx history. I'm baffled that is seen as virtue signalling and not just an attempt to publish something people will read.

It's also not like it's particularly quick off the mark either if it were a case of "milking it": Manx Radio ran a similar story back on the 9th of June.

18 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

It's not a couple of weeks though: it's been over five weeks since Stu was suspended, and just under five weeks since the march. As I said before, if the newspapers are 'totally milking it', they took their sweet time about it. 

As others have said, the historical slave trade is very topical at the moment and the Island's involvement doesn't usually get much attention, so why not run a piece on it?  

Just now, VinnieK said:

It's not a couple of weeks though: it's been over five weeks since Stu was suspended, and just under five weeks since the march. As I said before, if the newspapers are 'totally milking it', they're took their time.

Wow we’re now debating the differences between 2 weeks and 5 weeks in terms of media timing after an event. 

I listened to Stu's programme Thurs evening...parked outside of A&E waiting for someone.

The debate rumbles on...strangely with texts referred to but with many texts not read out.

The battle with the thought police seems to be rumbling on.

7 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Wow we’re now debating the differences between 2 weeks and 5 weeks in terms of media timing after an event. 

Well, you are the one who thought the fact that (according, wrongly, to you) the story came 'a couple of weeks' after the event was important enough to mention.

So if five weeks is too soon to avoid the charge of "totally milking it", how long would have been appropriate?  Ten weeks? Six months?

Archived