IOM newspapers and virtue signing

Mr Newbie

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Interesting that there was an English fishing vessel that far north at the time

Never mind Iceland, fishing by English boats off Newfoundland started in the late 15th century and continued from then on.  There were rumours that even before Cabot landed in North America, Bristol fishermen knew of its existence although they may not have landed.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I am amazed anyone buys the rags.

I bought the local papers, almost religiously, over 2/3 decades. I get laughed at by family when returning from a trip across that the first thing I do is buy any papers I missed. But oddly, it's a habit/obsession I have easily dropped since start of lock down, and I haven't really missed them.

18 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

Ok right. So a couple of weeks after the BLM march and the Stu Peters incident you don’t think it’s odd that our newspaper totally milks it by writing a piece on our slavery connections. That’s fine. Thanks for your feedback. 

They aren't prejudiced though. They milk absolutely everything.

17 hours ago, quilp said:

It would be interesting to know the tone of said texts. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Stu is still a target for vindictiveness. 

I think there is no doubt about that. He probably has to weed out quite a few. It would probably be an idea if it was no longer given airtime, but then he'd be accused of sweeping it under the carpet. It's what the yanks call a no-win situation.

16 hours ago, Declan said:

Why breed the dogs  here?

They’d then have to transport them to Africa and then onto the West Indies. 

Very good point, Declan. Takes a smart one to get past you. Breed 'em where you need 'em.

Mind you. Could say the same for slaves.

8 hours ago, Karellen said:

50,000 Irish men and women were sold into the white slave trade between 1652 and 1659, they were innocent Irish people who were rounded up from across the country by teams of Oliver Cromwell’s “man-catchers”, bound in chains and shipped to Barbados to work on sugar plantations.

Their descendants are still there today – some of them in absolute poverty – isolated, unassimilated and uneducated. 

article

How dare you draw attention to unfortunates who aren't black.

5 hours ago, quilp said:

Slavery existed millenia before the rise of the mohammedans. It predates all of the established cults. Enslavement flourished alongside agricultural development when labour was required to sustain growth. 

It's just the subjection and mastery of one group of people by another. Nothing surprising at all when you consider history.

37 minutes ago, woolley said:

Very good point, Declan. Takes a smart one to get past you. Breed 'em where you need 'em.

Mind you. Could say the same for slaves.

They would the Amerindians weren’t immune to Western diseases. 

10 hours ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

Good examples  could be songstress Lily Allen crying in Calais migrant camp,blaming the UK for it, whilst not actually taking one migrant back to her luxury London home,Or 95% of what crisp salesman Gary Lineker says.Signaling that is.not signing though.

Yes, yes I know what virtue signaling is.  My question was what is "virtue signing"?  That is what this thread is meant to be about.

8 hours ago, Karellen said:

50,000 Irish men and women were sold into the white slave trade between 1652 and 1659, they were innocent Irish people who were rounded up from across the country by teams of Oliver Cromwell’s “man-catchers”, bound in chains and shipped to Barbados to work on sugar plantations.

Their descendants are still there today – some of them in absolute poverty – isolated, unassimilated and uneducated. 

article

The article is from 2009 and appears to be based on promotional material for an unseen TV programme.  So hardly the most reliable source.  There wasn't ever a 'white slave trade' - those sent to the Americas actually went as indentured servants.  They were treated appallingly, often as badly as slaves, but unlike slaves their position wasn't for life and wasn't hereditary.  The same thing applied to those sent across unwillingly as prisoners of war.  Which wasn't confined to the Irish or to the Civil War period, though they do rather tend to magnify every wrong that Cromwell did and downplay those done by anyone they see as being on their side.

As for the Bajan 'Redlegs', they're well known.  They're now a fairly small community as some escape to affluence and others marry out.   Whether they're as Irish as some claim is another matter - here's the High Commissioner for Barbados saying they are Scottish and I've seen other things suggesting West Country roots.  In practice they're probably a mixture with a strong Irish component.  The best recent article I found was on an Irish American website.  Whether they are any poorer than their black rural neighbours, I don't know, but many of them are still very poor.

Archived