Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

1. Dr Glover has reported that the testing team were mortified by the letter; they did not need reassurance, I am guessing that having worked with her they would have the measure of her. 

2. We don't know the full content of the letter and now it has been destroyed.

3. They were being lauded, and correctly at the time in my view.  DA was reassuring and seemed well briefed.  However, this episode and now using the reagents to offer tests at a fee, have diminished him in my eyes.  He should have kept Dr Glover on side in recognition of the rare expertise she has and her willingness to share it. I am also wondering if in retrospect, they actually did a reasonable job, but the truth is closing the borders was a no-brainer and very easy to do on an island with only two points of entry to monitor - it was hardly a master stroke. 

4.  There has been a shift from containment and management to eradication, which is unrealistic and setting us up for a huge fail when it does return.  

5. What happened to the test, test, test mantra particularly as we have the facility here on island, to do it? 

All in all, there has been a massive loss of confidence arising from these decisions and the lack of a plan.  

The real concern is why have these apparently stupid decisions been made and why is there no long term plan?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I think this is a very unfair and unwarranted slur on a man ( actually two men) who are having to make important decisions during these difficult times. Yes as H Q said on Thursday they won’t always get everything 100% right but they’ve not done so bad so far.

Re letter gate, rather than being a “calculated attempt to impugn/discredit Dr Rachel Glover” reading the letter was more to reassure the rest of her team in the light of events that their input was also appreciated, that they should not feel undervalued  and it was so much more than a one woman team. Clumsy perhaps but emotions seemed to be running high at that time, so perhaps understandable.I see no reason to believe that the letter was not genuine. And even though it was shredded (maybe somewhat unwisely I concede) there is a record available of what it contained.

This seems to be a classic example of build them up and them knock them down. From heroes to zeros in a matter of months for some. Let’s not forget the Government were being lauded so long ago ( rounds of applause outside Government building etc being mooted)

Its certainly my experience that the Government still enjoys  a lot more support in the wider community, than those  of the nay sayers and cynics contributing to this forum.

Whatever they are paying you it's both too much and not enough at the same time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

18 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I think this is a very unfair and unwarranted slur on a man ( actually two men) who are having to make important decisions during these difficult times. Yes as H Q said on Thursday they won’t always get everything 100% right but they’ve not done so bad so far.

Re letter gate, rather than being a “calculated attempt to impugn/discredit Dr Rachel Glover” reading the letter was more to reassure the rest of her team in the light of events that their input was also appreciated, that they should not feel undervalued  and it was so much more than a one woman team. Clumsy perhaps but emotions seemed to be running high at that time, so perhaps understandable.I see no reason to believe that the letter was not genuine. And even though it was shredded (maybe somewhat unwisely I concede) there is a record available of what it contained.

This seems to be a classic example of build them up and them knock them down. From heroes to zeros in a matter of months for some. Let’s not forget the Government were being lauded so long ago ( rounds of applause outside Government building etc being mooted)

Its certainly my experience that the Government still enjoys  a lot more support in the wider community, than those  of the nay sayers and cynics contributing to this forum.

The wise thing to have done was not to even think about reading it out. If either HRH HQ or DA MBE had any nouse between them they could have issued an internal memo to the staff concerned assuring them that all of their efforts are valued.

As Sgt Wilson would have said to Capt Mainwaring (after he was thinking of doing something outrageous).... "do you think that's wise, sir?".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

1. Dr Glover has reported that the testing team were mortified by the letter; they did not need reassurance, I am guessing that having worked with her they would have the measure of her. 

With due respect and to paraphrase “ she would say that wouldn’t she?”

Having been put in my place by her (“It’s Doctor Glover to you”) taken together with her self important pronouncements on this thread, I don’t imagine she is the sort of Doctor of who a subordinate could easily get the measure of .

Do I assume you believe that this letter never existed?

2 hours ago, Itsmeee said:

When I typed  that post, autocorrect changed it to ‘combover’ and I am absolutely in favour of any and all discrimination against that kind of abomination.

Paging DA to thread. 

(Been there done that, well would have, but during my combover years I was in the Forces, and No4 was de rigeur.)

35 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And even though it was shredded (maybe somewhat unwisely I concede) there is a record available of what it contained.

No. There isn't a record of what it contained. It had about half a minute of 'blankety blank' in the official transcript.

44 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

When did you retire from your former role as Editor of Pravda?

14 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The wise thing to have done was not to even think about reading it out. If either HRH HQ or DA MBE had any nouse between them they could have issued an internal memo to the staff concerned assuring them that all of their efforts are valued.

As Sgt Wilson would have said to Capt Mainwaring (after he was thinking of doing something outrageous).... "do you think that's wise, sir?".

cf  'How very courageous, Minister'.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I agree 

15 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Paging DA to thread. 

(Been there done that, well would have, but during my combover years I was in the Forces, and No4 was de rigeur.)

No. There isn't a record of what it contained. It had about half a minute of 'blankety blank' in the official transcript.

And we don't  know if the full text was read out anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Having been put in my place by her (“It’s Doctor Glover to you”) taken together with her self important pronouncements on this thread, I don’t imagine she is the sort of Doctor of who a subordinate could easily get the measure of .

Should I screenshot the WhatsApp messages? Perhaps the emails? I've asked (repeatedly) for the path lab to "officially" refute the letter publicly by press release. Unfortunately, they're bound by the rules that would get them sacked by speaking out. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

2 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Should I screenshot the WhatsApp messages? Perhaps the emails? I've asked (repeatedly) for the path lab to "officially" refute the letter publicly by press release. Unfortunately, they're bound by the rules that would get them sacked by speaking out. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

But if you did would that prove beyond doubt that the anonymous letter did not exist or was made up? 

19 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well, she would say that if she was desperate to keep the job.   But she had already resigned, so draw your own conclusions.

As I recall, you were quite disparaging, and yes, you should refer to her as Dr Glover until she invites you to do otherwise. 

Don't assume anything.  I do not know if the letter was genuine or not, but the odour around it is not very reassuring.  It probably did exist, but who sent it and what their relationship with Dr Glover is we will never know.  It could have been sent by someone in the lab, even the head of the lab, or it could have been sent by a porter in RCH.  We will never know.