Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 minute ago, trench12 said:

They need the Embraer for the Gatwick route, Gatwick imposed a minimum seat criteria , the Atr is too small

That has to be a nonsense approach by LGW. What happens then when they only sell 50% of the seats, are they going to prevent them from landing?

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

That has to be a nonsense approach by LGW. What happens then when they only sell 50% of the seats, are they going to prevent them from landing?

The issue used to be that LGW started charging the same for aircraft like an A319 as they do for something like an ATR to try and discourage smaller aircraft from using the place. This was certainly the case a few years ago as I remember Flybe kicking off about it.

This could possibly offset the higher cost of operating the E195 rather than having to do more flights in the ATR? 

It could also be due to the cost of terminating the lease of the jet early?

I think if it made financial sense for them to bin the E195, it would be done in a flash.

How do we compare to Gibraltar for ATC disruption?  It appears they have had some discord over salary but are also facing similar issues with lack of staff and runways being closed which seem to date back to pre COVID??

Why hasn’t Chris Thomas sorted that out as well?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, trench12 said:

They need the Embraer for the Gatwick route, Gatwick imposed a minimum seat criteria , the Atr is too small

I think that's incorrect. Around half Guernsey to Gatwick services are currently ATR operated, and Eastern also use them to Newquay.

The Embraer purchase (funded by Guernsey government) was more of a vanity project, and each time Aurigny reorganise their affairs its future is reviewed. I wonder if this miraculous financial turnaround is connect to the way the Embraer is now paid for? 

20 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It is a joke.
Just booked the boat for a trip for which  I would normally fly.

Adds hours to my journey but thinking about it is going to save me hours and a lot of inconvenience.

You aren’t the only one. Some crossings in the next few weeks are completely sold out..normally unheard of outside of TT or Grand Prix..

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

You aren’t the only one. Some crossings in the next few weeks are completely sold out..normally unheard of outside of TT or Grand Prix..

You might say the travelling public are done up like a kipper !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asthehills said:

How do we compare to Gibraltar for ATC disruption?  It appears they have had some discord over salary but are also facing similar issues with lack of staff and runways being closed which seem to date back to pre COVID??

Why hasn’t Chris Thomas sorted that out as well?

That's just plain silly. Chris Thomas is an mhk and a minister on the isle of man. Why would you expect him to sort out an ongoing problem on Gibraltar?  It would be nice if he could sort out the problems he is being well remunerated to sort out here. I don't think he is capable of that and I guess will be relieved of that responsibility fairly soon. Sorry you seem to be so confused. 

2 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

I’ve not seen any that are sold out sold out.

They seem to be restricting the number of foot passengers on the Heysham route for some reason. But book a car+1 and suddenly there’s room. ETA don’t know if it’s cynical or if it’s just a consequence of the Manxman.

Edited by Ringy Rose

35 minutes ago, emesde said:

That's just plain silly. Chris Thomas is an mhk and a minister on the isle of man. Why would you expect him to sort out an ongoing problem on Gibraltar?  It would be nice if he could sort out the problems he is being well remunerated to sort out here. I don't think he is capable of that and I guess will be relieved of that responsibility fairly soon. Sorry you seem to be so confused. 

I think that Minister Thomas is sadly out of his depth, at anything he can solve within the DOI. The DOI is a behemoth that is too big, bureaucratic and quite frankly not fit for purpose. It needs broken down into smaller manageable sections and if the politicos need to be involved then give it to the likes of backbench MHKs. Maybe Rob Callister could manage the Buses, like Blakey. Maybe Stu Peters could run the railways and horse trams. I don’t know what Minister Thomas can do ……………… successfully. Maybe Chris Thomas is best suited as Chair of the Housing and Communities Board as a full time role?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emesde said:

I am not confused. 

Blaming him for issues here that started years ago and expecting him to fix them over night is no less stupid than blaming him and expecting him to wave a magic wand over Gibralter.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I’ve not seen any that are sold out sold out.

They seem to be restricting the number of foot passengers on the Heysham route for some reason. But book a car+1 and suddenly there’s room. ETA don’t know if it’s cynical or if it’s just a consequence of the Manxman.

Probably because they aren’t absolutely certain yet which boat will be operating, so are allowing a bit of wiggle room.

Anything could happen to the Manxman before it actually goes into operation and docks at the actual ports it will be operating to and from.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

It certainly helps them that EasyJet can’t/don’t/won’t fly to Guernsey or Alderney.

Indeed, GCI decided after commissioning a study that was undertaken by PWC, that LCCs  weren’t for them.

Guernsey Low Cost Carriers

You can see on page 14 that EasyJet asked them to extend their runway length to 1800m too, which they presumably felt was too costly to do, unlike the IOM.

IMG_5286.jpeg.6866f2713eabdf2da3f4aaa1d3b3cd43.jpeg

Edited by madmanxpilot