Douglas East

3 hours ago, Peter Gilmour said:

Hi There

I'm Peter Gilmour. Here is my manifesto - and I hope you will take the time to read it.

Any questions - fire away 😀

Happy to answer.

Peter Gilmour Manifesto_East.pdf 861.99 kB · 5 downloads

1. Were you pro Brexit? A simple yes or no, please.
  2. Would you be supportive of the UK rejoining the European Union? Again, a simple yes or no. 
  3. What are these post-Brexit opportunities you speak of?

Edited by germann
Badly worded first question. Thanks to Mr Sausages for pointing this out!

On 9/17/2021 at 5:54 PM, SleepyJoe said:

The furtive conservatives may get re-elected - some of them - but they're unlikely to be in the next administration

A progressive government will only get things done if people stop throwing up objections to them doing so

They'll only get things done if they stop pandering to people and just change things. They also need to do it early so they can reap any benefit before the next election.

The first major pitfall they need to avoid in the new House of Keys is putting Alf Cannan in as Chief Minister. If you think things were bad under Quayle just wait till the Treasury Minister who enabled it all takes over.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, germann said:
  1. Were you pro Brexit? A simple yes or no, please.
  2. Would you be supportive of the UK rejoining the European Union? Again, a simple yes or no. 

1. No. (My response to the Brexit question in the IOM Newspapers questionnaire was: "No, purely for economic reasons").

2. No. But IOM government need to concentrate on making life easier for businesses in terms of dealing with most of the administration and barriers to trade that the EU is erecting. We also need to be very aware that the UK, in terms of trying to compete, might change some VAT rates (dangerous for us as VAT share is a large chunk of our income).

3. Many and numerous in my opinion, particularly in terms of the digital and green economies. Most IT people have known for many years that staff could work from home or indeed anywhere in the world. The game changer has been Covid - it now means many more business people and investors realise it. We are in a unique position here, and have the expertise (legal, tax and accountancy) to quickly set up such companies here operating using that model.

One of the major reasons we lose so many young workers every year is given as the lack of diversification of the economy, and not being able to choose the types of job they actually want nowadays. So just one example - imagine a fashion house headquartered on the island with people working here and around the world - so if a young fashion student born here wanted to travel and work elsewhere for a while after studying - they could, but would have the opportunity to return here.

We need to develop the diversification of the economy and models for its working - around the needs of our younger workers. If we don't start doing that, who is going to be paying the taxes in future? These models are complex - but the majority of the components are actually in the control of government.

7 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

It's clear the digital and green economies are vital

Is KPMG being asked to advise on alternative options to these?

I'd rather see them advise on core strategies in these two specific areas (though there is a point where they may well merge into one)

Yes, there are a number of reports I have read that cover not just potential strategies but the need for digital upskilling.

The problem is not that we are short of reports and strategies, but of people to move these forward. That's where I think my background will be of significant use. Most MHKs/MLC themselves need digital upskilling. At 59 I am still studying for work (8 modules into a 9 module Harvard University Professional Cert in Data Science currently). 

During the next five years, together we need to be as creative in expanding the island’s Digital and Green industries and protecting the many jobs that will rely on them, as we were when we created the finance sector in the 1980s.

If we are not, we will fall behind many of our competitor jurisdictions and miss some golden opportunities, as entrepreneurs and business people move forward elsewhere without us.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

They'll only get things done if they stop pandering to people and just change things. They also need to do it early so they can reap any benefit before the next election.

The first major pitfall they need to avoid in the new House of Keys is putting Alf Cannan in as Chief Minister. If you think things were bad under Quayle just wait till the Treasury Minister who enabled it all takes over.

If I get elected - the first thing I will do is arrange a large meeting for people in Douglas East to hear the various contender policies and give their opinion as to whom they think would make the best Chief Minister. Thanks to Chris Thomas, we have a little more time to decide who that should be. So it is perfectly reasonable for those in the constituency to expect to express their thoughts and have their say.

I think all elected should do that in their own constituency.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Do you know, I dont think MLP, IOMGP or - I hope - LV have the intention of putting Mr Cannan in charge of the whole shebang

He has identified climate change response as number two in his top three priorities over the next year, & I'm just not sure his heart is really in it

9 hours ago, Peter Gilmour said:

2. No. But IOM government need to concentrate on making life easier for businesses in terms of dealing with most of the administration and barriers to trade that the EU is erecting.

The EU is not erecting them. They’ve always been there for non-EU members. They’re not new.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Sausages said:

The EU is not erecting them. They’ve always been there for non-EU members. They’re not new.

Yes - that's pure Brexiteer mumbo jumbo. The barriers that exist are very much down to the UK's whole hearted embrace when it was a member.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 4:13 PM, germann said:

10 hours ago, Peter Gilmour said:

3.  Many and numerous in my opinion, particularly in terms of the digital and green economies. Most IT people have known for many years that staff could work from home or indeed anywhere in the world. The game changer has been Covid - it now means many more business people and investors realise it. We are in a unique position here, and have the expertise (legal, tax and accountancy) to quickly set up such companies here operating using that model.

One of the major reasons we lose so many young workers every year is given as the lack of diversification of the economy, and not being able to choose the types of job they actually want nowadays. So just one example - imagine a fashion house headquartered on the island with people working here and around the world - so if a young fashion student born here wanted to travel and work elsewhere for a while after studying - they could, but would have the opportunity to return here.

We need to develop the diversification of the economy and models for its working - around the needs of our younger workers. If we don't start doing that, who is going to be paying the taxes in future? These models are complex - but the majority of the components are actually in the control of government.

What is the relevance of Brexit to your post-Brexit opportunities? You don't don't seem to have listed any opportunities that have arisen as a result of Brexit at all. In fact, your imaginary fashion student has had the automatic right to work throughout the single market removed as a result of Brexit, whether they return to the island or not. And developing the diversification of the economy etc, etc, what specifically has the UK leaving the EU done as far as realising those vague ambitions is concerned? I'm not seeing it. 

• Like 1