Douglas South

All discussions relating to this constituency go in this thread please. 

Sitting members:
Clare Christian MHK
Paul Quine MHK

Number of seats: 2

Declared candidates:

Clare Christian MHK
Sarah Maltby
Paul Quine MHK
Gerard Higgins 

Two Minutes Summary Videos from ManxRadio:

22 hours ago, Amadeus said:

All discussions relating to this constituency go in this thread please. 

Sitting members:
Clare Christian MHK
Paul Quine MHK

Number of seats: 2

Declared candidates:

Clare Christian MHK
Sarah Maltby
Paul Quine

Quine and Christian will get back in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 12:15 PM, wrighty said:

Why is it not called 'Douglas West'?

It was when they redrew the boundaries because they realised that some of Douglas Central was actually to the south of it.  But Bill Malarkey (in the only bit of legislative work in his career) put a special Bill through Tynwald to rename it to Douglas South.  Because that's what it had always been called.  

You've got to prioritise the really important things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 1:45 PM, Fluffy123 said:

Quine and Christian will get back in. 

Yes they will, on the basis that they’ve not had enough time to either piss people off or reveal themselves to be talentless chancers. (I’m not saying they are, just that if so, it’s too early to be sure). 

• Like 2

On 7/4/2021 at 1:14 AM, Uhtred said:

Yes they will, on the basis that they’ve not had enough time to either piss people off or reveal themselves to be talentless chancers. (I’m not saying they are, just that if so, it’s too early to be sure). 

Or maybe because they are both actually quite good. 

19 hours ago, Fluffy123 said:

Or maybe because they are both actually quite good. 

I have been impressed by Quine. Hope he gets back in. Not sure about the other one.

On 7/8/2021 at 1:59 AM, Apple said:

I have been impressed by Quine. Hope he gets back in. Not sure about the other one.

From my perspective Christian has done more for people and addressed some key national issues, particularly around mental health - but I concede that Quine has been an excellent constituency MHK as well. 

23 minutes ago, Fluffy123 said:

particularly around mental health

I am not aware she has done anything for mental health except profess an interest - as we all do of course.

• Like 1

It’s clear we need a mental health party with a good manifesto. Time for the Monster Raving Looney Party to put up someone in every constituancy with a totally mental program of government. They would win by a mile. No need for ideas just make it up as we go along. Make Ketamine legal but only for horses. Banish all civil servants to Paraguay. Make beekeeping legal. One extra sock for all.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Anyone said:

Make Ketamine legal but only for horses. Banish all civil servants to Paraguay. Make beekeeping legal. One extra sock for all.

Errr…hello…LibVan?

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 1:47 AM, offshoremanxman said:

She and Paul Quine will likely get back in based on those standing so far.

Paul Quine -- yes, hope so. He has the makings of a very good parliamentarian, just the sort we need. Challenges and not afraid to rock boats. Looks comfortable in the role as MHK. No pretentiousness. 

Ms. Christian--No thanks. Not done anything substantial for mental health as alleged previously as far as I know. Everything Mr Quine is not I'm afraid (see above).

11 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

What has Paul Quine done for mental health?

I am not aware of anything but he doesn't profess to have either.

13 hours ago, Apple said:

Paul Quine -- yes, hope so. He has the makings of a very good parliamentarian, just the sort we need. Challenges and not afraid to rock boats. Looks comfortable in the role as MHK. No pretentiousness. 

Ms. Christian--No thanks. Not done anything substantial for mental health as alleged previously as far as I know. Everything Mr Quine is not I'm afraid (see above).

You’re kidding right? Christian has challenged COMIN and asked more probing questions than anyone else in the last year Imho. I agree Quine is good but he’s a bit of a comin want-to-be and supports the CM and ministers openly in keys and in his interviews. But I think the 2 of them make an awesome team