Douglas South

31 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

The Manx Labour Party manifesto is here:

https://www.manxlabourparty.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Manx-Labour-Party-Manifesto-2021.pdf

If Christian, Higgins or even Quine have better policies please let me know what they are

I'm not sure that decriminalisation of marijuana use is a vote winner.

23 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I'm not sure that decriminalisation of marijuana use is a vote winner.

Barlow, if weed was decriminalised on this Island you would probably barely notice and it'd likely never affect your life. Society will not collapse, taxes collected could be zoned to assist our welfare system; the hospital, mental health etc., in the same way Colorado and other states of the USA have been doing since recreational weed was legalised over there. If I remember correctly it was $250 million a couple of years ago. A few years after decriminalisation in the Netherlands the numbers of users actually decreased, especially in the younger age ranges.

Edited by quilp
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

Barlow, if weed was decriminalised on this Island you would probably barely notice and it'd likely never affect your life. Society will not collapse, taxes collected could be zoned to assist our welfare system; the hospital, mental health etc., in the same way Colorado and other states of the USA have been doing since recreational weed was legalised over there. If I remember correctly it was $250 million a couple of years ago. A few years after decriminalisation in the Netherlands the numbers of users actually decreased, especially in the younger age ranges.

I don't doubt anything you say.

All I said was  " I'm not sure that decriminalisation of marijuana use is a vote winner. "

• Thanks 1

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

Likely anyone under 50 honestly wouldn’t care. 

I think you're probably correct.

In which case, my point stands stronger.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Likely anyone under 50 honestly wouldn’t care. 

I don’t think most people care strongly one way or the other.  Sure, there are a few who are all out ‘legalise it’ and a few who want to lock up occasional users, but I’d guess that over 90% of the population couldn’t care less about it. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, wrighty said:

I don’t think most people care strongly one way or the other.  Sure, there are a few who are all out ‘legalise it’ and a few who want to lock up occasional users, but I’d guess that over 90% of the population couldn’t care less about it. 

But do the 90% who don't really care support the judicial position, & if they don't really care about that either is fining 'offenders' really just a state fundraising opportunity taken?

• 2 weeks later...