Ramsey

All discussions relating to this constituency go in this thread please. 

Sitting members:
Dr. Alex Allinson MHK
Lawrie Hooper MHK

Number of seats: 2

Declared candidates:

Dr. Alex Allinson MHK
Lawrie Hooper MHK

Leonard Singer
Jonathan Kinrade
Luke Parker
Erica Spencer 
Robert Cowell
Simon Mann

Two Minutes Summary Videos from ManxRadio:

Dr Allinson might be a very good MHK for his constituency, I do not know. Personally, I have a lot of respect for his pro-abortion stance etc. But, in my opinion, his tenure as Education Minister was not successful enough. I think he has a catalogue of failures (I detailed my reasons elsewhere on the MF). Assuming he is re-elected, I think that his lack of sufficient Ministerial achievements should preclude him from running in the CM race. My point is that he needs to prove that he can deliver as a Minster with a portfolio before leaping ‘unproven’ into the CM role.

ETA. That said I still prefer Dr Allinson to Chris Thomas.

Edited by code99
  • Sad 1

Allinson (like Baker to a certain extent) has only been minister for a year and has inherited the final year of a 5 year tenure by previous non stellar incumbent

Also the whole year has been chaos due to covid

It's hard to really make any judgement on his achievements tbh from that sample

The other 4 years though is a different matter

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 8:01 PM, code99 said:

I was pleased when Dr Allinson became an MHK. I thought of him as a genuinely caring, intelligent, and capable person who could make a positive contribution to a Manx government. His efforts to push through the long overdue abortion reforms were commendable. I was hoping that he would be appointed as the Health Minister. Now my opinion of him is less favourable. I think he has become one of the ‘yes men’ in his current role as the Education Minister. Here are my reasons why:

• The pay dispute with teachers dragged on for far too long;
  • Remote education has been challenging. Last year this was understandable, but this year the process should have been smoother - i.e., lessons learnt and all that sort of thing. Throughout the lockdowns there have been sightings of schoolteachers walking the dogs, kayaking, etc. during what were supposedly working hours, whilst parents were struggling to juggle their own work commitments and looking after the kids under difficult circumstances. There have also been complaints that homework was not issued consistently or on a regular basis. A lot, of course, depends on the leadership in individual schools, but the some of the buck must stop with the Minister;
  • He allowed schools to open when Tynwald held a remote session just 24 hours before the last lockdown;
  • He announced that the hub for the kids of essential workers would not be operational during the last lockdown, only to admit a few weeks later that the said hub was set up at NSC. It seems that the IOMG decided to keep this as a ‘secret’ from public because they were afraid that other parents would want similar facilities.

We will find out in September what his constituents think of his achievements, but my feeling is that he will probably be re-elected in the absence of any clearly better candidates.

I have no doubt that Dr Allinson is a ‘good guy’, but just being a good guy is, in my book, not enough. I have quoted my previous post above. It is his performance during the Covid crisis that I am especially unimpressed with, not the legacy issues that he inherited from an erstwhile Education Minister.

When comes to appointing the CM I am obliged to say that in a tepid democracy, like ours, the only option appears to be is to choose the least bad person for the job, not the best person. Unfortunately, even that choice does not reside with the public, but instead with the CoMin cabal, seemingly aided by some senior civil servants. Hence, whether we like it or not we have been lumbered with HQ who did not even came first in his own constituency. Can we hope for better in September?

Edited by code99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, code99 said:

I have no doubt that Dr Allinson is a ‘good guy’, but just being a good guy is, in my book, not enough. I have quoted my previous post above. It is his performance during the Covid crisis that I am especially unimpressed with, not the legacy issues that he inherited from an erstwhile Education Minister.

When comes to electing the CM I am obliged to say that in a tepid democracy, like ours, the only option appears to be is to choose the least bad person for the job, not the best person. Unfortunately, even that choice does not reside with the public, but instead with the CoMin cabal, seemingly aided by some senior civil servants. Hence, whether we like it or not we have been lumbered with HQ who did not even came first in his own constituency. Can we hope for better in September?

You can't have a CoMin cabal elect a CM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 3:24 PM, code99 said:

When comes to appointing the CM I am obliged to say that in a tepid democracy, like ours, the only option appears to be is to choose the least bad person for the job, not the best person. Unfortunately, even that choice does not reside with the public, but instead with the CoMin cabal, seemingly aided by some senior civil servants. Hence, whether we like it or not we have been lumbered with HQ who did not even came first in his own constituency. Can we hope for better in September?

Aided by some civil servants? Lol

I hear Alex is almost a shoe in for CM. 

Thought of as calm, erudite, able to collaborate and negotiates well. Not a bit like Alf who plays it all too close to his chest - causes people to feel excluded.

• 2 weeks later...