Rushen

5 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

At the moment he should stroll in but his support isn’t what it used to be, lots who voted for him felt very let down by him running of to play speaker. 

If re-elected, he needs to role his sleeves up, take on a ministerial role and get stuck in. He's a bright guy with fifteen years in the Keys done. He needs to forget all the dressing up, pagentry and status-seeking, and start making a positive contribution to getting the Island back on track, after the last 18 months.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nellie said:

If re-elected, he needs to role his sleeves up, take on a ministerial role and get stuck in. He's a bright guy with fifteen years in the Keys done. He needs to forget all the dressing up, pagentry and status-seeking, and start making a positive contribution to getting the Island back on track, after the last 18 months.

I would be less likely to vote for him if he was going to be a minister next time. If he could guarantee he’d be Speaker next time I’d vote for him. 

10 hours ago, Declan said:

If he could guarantee he’d be Speaker next time I’d vote for him. 

Spoke with him yesterday. Thats what he would like I think.

Having said that, he is a brilliant local MHK from what I hear and see. Knows which levers to pull. 

Watterson will be re-elected. It’ll be interesting to see if he aims to retrieve the Speaker’s wig and tights or whether he chooses to seek Ministerial rank again. (Of course failing in the former doesn’t preclude the latter, but his preference will be interesting).

10 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Watterson will be re-elected. It’ll be interesting to see if he aims to retrieve the Speaker’s wig and tights or whether he chooses to seek Ministerial rank again. (Of course failing in the former doesn’t preclude the latter, but his preference will be interesting).

The problem is that the Speaker is supposed to be an experienced MHK who leads the House.  And there really isn't anyone who is experienced except Watterson.  And that 's not just 'experienced' on the sense of 'wise old head' that's with having served anything much in terms of time in the Keys.  In terms of service the only alternative is Cregeen - assuming he gets back in which he possibly won't.

personally I think it's a shame that Rushen appears to have a relatively good pool to choose from whilst other areas are struggling somewhat with the options available

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The problem is that the Speaker is supposed to be an experienced MHK who leads the House.  And there really isn't anyone who is experienced except Watterson.  And that 's not just 'experienced' on the sense of 'wise old head' that's with having served anything much in terms of time in the Keys.  In terms of service the only alternative is Cregeen - assuming he gets back in which he possibly won't.

Indeed. Watterson is in many ways the only suitable candidate for Speaker which would make it interesting if he didn’t seek to retain it! 

As to your second point, the rejection of Cregeen would almost, I say almost, be on a par with the joyful departure of Quayle. Sadly, I don’t see it - I fear the clearly undiscerning voters of Castletown, Arbory and Malew will repeat their previous grievous errors and return him.

On 7/27/2021 at 11:56 PM, Declan said:

I would be less likely to vote for him if he was going to be a minister next time. If he could guarantee he’d be Speaker next time I’d vote for him. 

14 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Hmmm...everyone seems to have overlooked him as the next Chief Minister.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barlow said:

Hmmm...everyone seems to have overlooked him as the next Chief Minister.

I’ve discussed that prospect with friends. The consensus seems to be that he’d fancy it but wouldn’t get it. However, politics is a funny old game.

Would he take CM if offered the support I doubt it, he doesn’t like responsibility to easy to pick easy stuff and shout from the sidelines. Though with his experience he should really go for it and for all his faults he is very hardworking mhk.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Would he take CM if offered the support I doubt it, he doesn’t like responsibility to easy to pick easy stuff and shout from the sidelines. Though with his experience he should really go for it and for all his faults he is very hardworking mhk.

With a young family I don't think he would want commit the time and energy. Read his pamphlet last night - he is very much involved in a lot of health and education developments / projects.

If I was him I would try and continue as an MHK if re-elected. There will be other chances in the future - he is still relatively young. 

8 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

He’d only go for CM if it came with some sort of fancy costume or big hat. 

I’m sure he could design his own elaborate stage costume. Don’t forget, the flowery nonsense worn by ‘Mr. President’ was only devised in 1990 and has no historical heritage whatsoever. I think the CM garb would best be an orange gimp suit with emerald green tricorn hat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3