Ettyl

gossip1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

What's the difference between a mistrial and an aborted trial due to fairness of trial issues?

I assume the word mistrial is when a verdict is reached? No real clue.

You would always discharge the jury in a mistrial. Somebody somewhere has done something stupid which has caused offense. The defendent would possibly be tried again with a new jury.

I don't know what this halted for legal reasons is. It's very ambivalent. 

Edit - I'm genuinely really hoping that what has happened is that Mr Scales has got on to the stand and launched a massive attack and caused a full on freak out 

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Is the fact that he has dismissed his advocate relevant?  Perhaps wanting to represent himself but after deliberations in Chambers, the court thought the case was too complex to allow that.

Edited by Gladys

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Is the fact that he has dismissed his advocate relevant?  Perhaps wanting to represent himself but after deliberations in Chambers, the court thought the case was too complex to allow that.

Nothing to indicate the two are linked, could be, no detail reported.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

We don't know.  There may be good reasons why the details of why the trial has been aborted can't be reported.

In that case state there are "reporting restrictions"

Surely it was aborted because Scales got rid of is Barrister - as per the IOM Today report?  So how can he fairly be represented if no barrister-hence the halt in proceedings?

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, gossip1 said:

Surely it was aborted because Scales got rid of is Barrister - as per the IOM Today report?  So how can he fairly be represented if no barrister-hence the halt in proceedings?

I don't really see how that alone would cause the jury to be booted.

Adjourned? Maybe.

Edited by NoTailT