1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

True...but the imposition of a little bit of responsibility may have further reaches? People may be less inclined to let them breed so freely if they know that they've got to have them chipped and take responsibility for them. Mann Cat Sanctuary had an article a couple of weeks back that reckoned that a single cat can ultimately be responsible for 20,000 offspring after generations are taken into account .

The article I screenshot claims 10.8M cats in UK, more than one for every ten people. If you take that ratio across to the Island then there might be 10,000 cats here? How many are chipped or have any owners?

And we wonder why the urban bird population is dwindling!

• Like 1

If you get a cat from the MSPCA it is chipped and neutered.  If you get a cat from elsewhere, then the sensible thing is to do the same.  A microchip only really helps if the cat is lost then found and scanned, it says nothing about whether it is neutered. 

I don't think strays are a huge problem here, been going to the MSPCA regularly over the past couple of months with a friend to find her a cat.  If there are 10 for rehoming at any one time, that's about it.  

Some countries have huge populations of strays. Try Cyprus for example, there are loads of cats, all living on the streets, fed by locals but given no further regard than we would give to feeding birds in the garden. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If you get a cat from the MSPCA it is chipped and neutered.  If you get a cat from elsewhere, then the sensible thing is to do the same.  A microchip only really helps if the cat is lost then found and scanned, it says nothing about whether it is neutered. 

I don't think strays are a huge problem here, been going to the MSPCA regularly over the past couple of months with a friend to find her a cat.  If there are 10 for rehoming at any one time, that's about it.  

Some countries have huge populations of strays. Try Cyprus for example, there are loads of cats, all living on the streets, fed by locals but given no further regard than we would give to feeding birds in the garden. 

Greece is the same. Two of ours are from Athens and there are thousands of stray cats in the city. People generally take good care of them and even put out food every day for particular groups. I’m sure the people at the office would have looked after Mystery if we hadn’t taken her in but I saw this little monster and my heart melted :) 

962DF2AD-FC3E-4C58-8BC4-8EB35E153587.jpeg

Manila is very different. I know that the two we have from there would have died if I hadn’t picked them up. People have other problems than feeding cats or bringing them to the vet. 
BB56E1C5-872F-4E69-B55A-B9F386B929FE.jpeg

96CF175B-8122-4797-94C8-41E3552446BC.jpeg

8F67841E-23C1-45CA-8FD9-9116344801CF.jpeg

5A394492-91F3-49E6-9B76-2CC463A3C6AC.jpeg

C830955C-8BC8-4CF4-8123-BB94333A8074.jpeg

04CC12EF-6042-4518-964B-F53183AE9B9B.jpeg

We actually still have two more that stay in Manila. Marla here is employed as part time MF admin when I’m busy. 
98EF8F87-73BC-45AB-BCCB-92571C0FD7C3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:If Moggie Amadeus isn't hanging around with people with the latest iPhone, she's dead to him.  Cat's got to show class.

Well she’s not just a cat.... 

64441E01-29C2-431C-8F03-4622259E3CC8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

And we wonder why the urban bird population is dwindling!

I'm not an avid "twitcher" by any means but it's worth taking a look at RSPB predation estimates for UK of 1 - 2 small animals and birds per cat, per week. They actually estimate the cat population lower than UKG's figure, at 8.5M. Even on that lower figure, it's between 8.5M and 17M per week. Over a year the figure is ..... 😲

Apply that to IoM numbers and we might understand why our small wild bird numbers are falling?

17 minutes ago, pongo said:

The issue is farming practices.

I doubt that cat population has increased over the past few centuries. Likely more pet cats and fewer feral cats.

Screenshot_20211204-201056_Google.jpg

Well, I must be a psychopath but I am also an animal lover.  I have two dogs and three cats, I feed the birds in my garden (in the bushes and trees out of reach of the cats), encourage frogs and provide safe spaces for hedgehogs, the most frequent visitor is known as Russell.  

It's very simple, everything has a right to exist without cruelty or harm, particularly from humans who always have the upper hand and within their gift to help or harm.  But I also acknowledge that the natural world is not a Disney plot line.  So my basic premise is that live and let live. 

I even have ringies visiting the bird feeders, much to the horror of friends, but as long as they are outside why worry? And they are quite interesting to watch. I won't mention a penchant for encouraging a seagull invasion every now and then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Well, I must be a psychopath but I am also an animal lover.  I have two dogs and three cats, I feed the birds in my garden (in the bushes and trees out of reach of the cats), encourage frogs and provide safe spaces for hedgehogs, the most frequent visitor is known as Russell.  

It's very simple, everything has a right to exist without cruelty or harm, particularly from humans who always have the upper hand and within their gift to help or harm.  But I also acknowledge that the natural world is not a Disney plot line.  So my basic premise is that live and let live. 

I even have ringies visiting the bird feeders, much to the horror of friends, but as long as they are outside why worry? And they are quite interesting to watch. I won't mention a penchant for encouraging a seagull invasion every now and then.

The ringies are brilliant so intelligent in their quest for getting to food.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Not when they are digging up the stuff in mu poly tunnel. Never mind, if the mog doesn't get them the ringie traps will.

My sympathies doc but they are still very intelligent creatures smarter than most footballers that's for sure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2