Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, reptar said:

I'm guessing though that it's supposed to be a cut above the likes of the Front Porch etc. so you'll never convince me that having shed loads of home printed A4 'signs' in the window is a good look. Adverts in a bar like this should be minimal, professional, and laser focused. Look at the exterior of Henderson & Glass (see that, I remembered the name and I've only been in once, they must be doing something right with how they present themselves).

But that's the look they're going for: the bar that doesn't look like a bar.  Ditto the carefully-mismatched furniture, the selection of drinks and so on.  The intention is not to look too 'professional', but to give the impression that they provide an individual experience; amateur in the original sense of somewhere that loves what they do.

Of course you can argue that this ends up as a cliché itself and such places end up looking like every pop-up restaurant in Hackney ever.  Such a look may be going so far out of fashion that H&B will have opened one by 2031.  But it's just as carefully done in its way as any chain-diner.

• Like 3

On 2/13/2024 at 7:44 PM, jackwhite said:

[...] This looks similar with Oscars, again within a stones throw of it. I don't think they understand that sort of clientele enough.

Regardless, in 18-24 months time, I think we'll be talking about either them or Oscars closing.

Not necessarily.  it really depends on the size of the market and more than one similar place near each other may actually increase the market.  That's why Chinese restaurants tend to be clustered in Chinatowns.  Customers will have their own favourites, but will be OK going down the street if their original target is too full or closed for the evening or whatever.

32 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Except the Boatyard isn't a good fish restaurant. They are hit and miss.

And he claims Wine Down is expensive, but a cursory look at the menu for the Boatyard and the starters are same/more (North of £10) and the mains not too dissimilar. Their wines will have a much bigger mark up too. I know where I'd rather eat.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

And he claims Wine Down is expensive, but a cursory look at the menu for the Boatyard and the starters are same/more (North of £10) and the mains not too dissimilar. Their wines will have a much bigger mark up too. I know where I'd rather eat.

Colleague had the mixed fish gratin and played find the fish after that. It's one of those restaurants where it can be brilliant one visit and meh the next. What is so hard about being consistent?

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I see people sat in there with their coats on. We walk on by. Henderson and Glass. Toasty warm. We go in there. 

I'll take your word though a d give it another try. 

I’m gonna say you’ve never been or it was a long time ago. I go regularly, it’s never cold.

You can be a fan of one place but get things wrong. You are here. 

you’re usually fair so I will say your observation is out of date. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

I’m gonna say you’ve never been or it was a long time ago. I go regularly, it’s never cold.

You go in regular but in an another post you rarely go out you are really full of contradictions

• Like 1

We tried to go into hops the other week.  There were people in there but the door was locked.

Went to Henderson and Glass instead .Then we went to Oscar’s, then the Front Porxh.

Also, if it doesn’t want to look like a normal pub, what is this all about in their Facebook advertising?

IMG_0366.jpeg

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, jackwhite said:

I thought you rarely went out these days?