Four-day week finds favour in new survey

Andy Onchan

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I guess some businesses would have difficulty with continuous manning (personing)? 

Must people try and introduce issues where there are none?  Manning isn't a gender specific term but you could use staffing or resourcing as an alternative but I know you just want to start an argument about being "woke".

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Working a nine or ten hour day would probably be a good trade off and may improve productivity. It would certainly give people a better balance in some occupations. 

I can see it being a good idea.  Just worth considering what happens to the frontline workers who may not have the same opportunity to benefit from this.

4 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Must people try and introduce issues where there are none?  Manning isn't a gender specific term but you could use staffing or resourcing as an alternative but I know you just want to start an argument about being "woke".

No I wasn't, you are. 

It just crossed my mind as I was typing it, wasn't really thinking.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Max Power said:

No I wasn't, you are. 

It just crossed my mind as I was typing it, wasn't really thinking.

I doubt many people would have cared had you not highlighted it.  As I said I don't want to start an argument over that.

I am supportive of the idea of a four day week though.

3 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I doubt many people would have cared had you not highlighted it.  As I said I don't want to start an argument over that.

I am supportive of the idea of a four day week though.

It just sprang to mind as someone had been talking to me about a person hole earlier. 

• Haha 1

Only gov. employees would be working a 4 day week. For everyone else, the requirements will be the same.

After the Berlin wall crumbled, there was a lot of comments that we would all be better off because there would be no need to spend money on armaments. What happened was that there was a huge source of cheap labour which affected wages of everyone except managers.

I was sent this survey, and I agree with a 4day week. My job bills clients in days though, so for it to work for my role really the days would have to be slightly longer. But other countries who've tried it have reported increased or null change in productivity, and improved morale. So that seems like a good thing.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Downsides, anyone?

Were you asked/consulted?

Hardly anyone at Manx Radio seems able to do links.  If they're not linking to FoI requests that expire almost immediately, it's linking to files on their own computer that they have downloaded.  Which in this case is sod all use unless you happen to be Tessa_H.

Anyway the report is downloadable from here:

https://www.islandglobalresearch.com/News/DownloadArticle/3315

And it only consists of one page of graphics:

image.thumb.png.718899e252fc25b587a74830c7a6a351.png

As you can see the figures are across all three Islands as a sort of average and the key question said that the reduction was in hours not just in days (so 4 days of 8 hours, not 4 of 10 would replace 5 of 8).  Inevitably those most opposed were the over-65s who just hate the idea that younger people should benefit from anything (especially stuff the now-elderly got).

• Like 2