Morrisey.

Just watched an interview with Morrisey from October I think, put onto you tube about 3 days ago.

The interviewer was just absolutely gushing about his new album coming out and his stance on the music industry and why he was no longer popular. Actually was quite sickening. He wasn’t questioned about his support for the England First campaign or his particular political views.

I used to be quite an admirer of the Smiths and his solo works until he allied himself with the right wing.  Can you separate the man from his music?

Anyway as someone said everybody grows out of their Morrisey phase except for Morrisey himself

Morrissey tends to choose his interviewers from his devotees, often it's his nephew.

The Smiths were a left wing band - played anti-racism and anti-apartheid gigs. They were also the sum of four people's work and the 80's Morrissey was very different to the modern one. So I think it's possible to make the distinction between them and him. 

His solo career has descended into self-parody with a rock-a-billy backing band. So I don't think you are missing much. To be honest there's more to dislike about the middle-aged Moz than his Brexity views he comes across as whiny and manipulative. 

But can you separate the art from the artist? Generally, we probably should approach a work on it's own merits, An actor who's a shit doesn't wreck our enjoyment of the whole film but realistically is that possible? Art is inspired by the world and influenced by it. We approach it with a knowledge of the world and other works in the same field. 

With a picture of a puppy painted by a perv or a pastoral instrumental by a fascist I guess it's possible to set aside  the views of the artist.  Also we can read Kipling and disagree with some of his racial attitudes in his work but recoginise that's the prevailing mood of the time but it might still spoil the work for his. It is hard for an author to keep his views out of the narrative - certainly Mozza couldn't, you should read his novel - it's hilariously bad. 

With Pop Singers though there's an added dimension. Their persona and ideas are entirely wrapped up it how they present themselves. It's difficult to ignore Gary Glitter's history when you see him stomping around in front of children asking "Do you want to be in my gang?". 

It's probably easy to ignore the modern Morrissey because as he's disappeared up his own arse so has the quality of his music. 

• Like 2

I loved The Smiths and I quite like Morrissey's new song, it is very Smithsey. I've seen Morrissey and Marr in concert a couple of times, Marr is without doubt, the best musically but Morrissey's lyrics are poetic. They were of the moment for me and I kinda like that. 

On 12/1/2022 at 9:50 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

I used to be quite an admirer of the Smiths and his solo works until he allied himself with the right wing.  Can you separate the man from his music?

Could be worse, you could be a Jewish Kanye fan.

• Haha 1